• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage Egress

Wakefield47

I have a small 40 SF storage room in an office building. The room is 4'-0" wide by 10'-0" deep. A team wants to put a row of 2' deep shelves in there for storage, which would leave the overall width at 2'-0". It was expressed that this would not meet fire code as that requires 3'-0" along the shelves. I cannot find this anywhere in the fire code. The other main issue I see is with accessibility, but there are other accessible storage rooms on the floor. I fear having a non-accessible room on the floor someone could go in and not be able to get out.

Is there any code language that prevents us from using this storage room with the 2'-0" shelves?

Common sense. Who wants to go 10 ft down a 2 ft wide path piled high with supplies, pick up what you need, and try to turn around to get back out. Stupid.

Common sense. Who wants to go 10 ft down a 2 ft wide path piled high with supplies, pick up what you need, and try to turn around to get back out. Stupid.
Hi - yes I understand the common sense element, but I would like to present this with a code.

( < > )

Wakefield47,

Please provide the Fire Code Section & Edition of the

Fire Code that you are referring to.

( < > )

In a typical business occupancy the storage room would be permitted to have the shelving with a 24” aisle for general storage IFC (315.3). It would be a stretch to try to enforce the exception of IFC (1018.5) of 28” since the 4’x10’ storage room and aisle typically would not be considered an occupied area or means of egress in my humble opinion.

We must remember one my enforce code not will.

In a typical business occupancy the storage room would be permitted to have the shelving with a 24” aisle for general storage IFC (315.3). It would be a stretch to try to enforce the exception of IFC (1018.5) of 28” since the 4’x10’ storage room and aisle typically would not be considered an occupied area or means of egress in my humble opinion.

We must remember one my enforce code not will.
Thank you - I agree with this line of thinking. It is not meant to be an occupied space only a storage closet.

Hmm, it is not a mechanical room; if it can be entered it must be able to be egressed too.