• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storm Drainage NYC

BobtheBuilder

Hi, I am currently having an issue with storm water during heavy rains and am trying to figure out the code requirement of installing a drywell in my backyard.

The downspout at the back of the house is connected to the waste water line which runs under the building to the street at the front. During heavy (ish) rain the pipe backs up and the water comes in the back door into the ground floor apartment (no cellar or basement, ground floor is at street level). This is an issue along the row of houses in the area.

Is it possible to dig a drywell in my back yard and pipe the downspout to this to try and resolve this issue? If so, what are the requirements and obligations to be met? drawings, dob/dep filing, plumbing inspections and signoffs drywell overflow etc...?

Thank you.

If I understand this the first floor elevation matches the street. That means that the leader under the house is below street elevation. It's no wonder that it doesn't work well.

Last edited:
Hi e hilton,

At the front of the house the water just spills out onto the ground and flows to the street. At the rear of the house the water has nowhere to flow to except for an area drain. I think just spilling out on the ground will make the garden extremely wet and some of it unusable.