• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Structural Revision Put on Electrical Page

Because you want to add delays to your project?

Because that was the only sheet with room on it.

If they added a sheet, then they would have to revise the index too. Now it is two sheets that have to be resubmitted. ;)

Them Engineers sure are rascals'!

Sharpen your red pencil, wait your electronic, select markup tool on the right hand side, make sure you push the green button to save your markup!:oops: wash and repeat!

The contract documents do not define which subcontractor does which work. Thus from a contractual point of view it does not matter where the issue is addressed and the building department should not be concerned with the question of where the issue is addressed.

Because the structural engineer does not typically want to sign an electrical drawing the engineer will typically not place structural work on the electrical drawings but this is not precluded. An Architect who is by state law allowed to practice engineering may not have a problem signing a drawing including both electrical and civil engineering work.

The contract documents do not define which subcontractor does which work. Thus from a contractual point of view it does not matter where the issue is addressed and the building department should not be concerned with the question of where the issue is addressed.

Because the structural engineer does not typically want to sign an electrical drawing the engineer will typically not place structural work on the electrical drawings but this is not precluded. An Architect who is by state law allowed to practice engineering may not have a problem signing a drawing including both electrical and civil engineering work.

Which is why it was approved. In this case the architect signed all of the drawings that they prepared which included all disciplines. On a personal note, I don't think it is right since often the pages are separated to different plans examiners and there may have been other changes on electrical snuck in by using the structural changes as a trojan horse. It has happened before, therefore we can be "concerned" about it, but still approve after careful review.

This has a "mistake waiting to happen" feeling to me. The contractor performing the structural work probably is not looking too closely at the electrical drawings, so the change is likely to be missed. Hopefully someone gives them a heads up on the change to prevent it from being missed.

I feel like this falls more into the category of workmanship than something that should be prevented by law though.

OP noted revision page, Thus a single revision page is going to be sent out to all appropriate subs with a note of the change, the titling of the page is what it is.

As a revision, I see no problem, though I would have left the Alpha designation as just a Rev: or E/S: for oddity personally

But it is not like it is in the main drawing set submittal, as to plan review, the electrical reviewer IMO seeing the oddity on a Elec plan review, I would think would send a e-mail note over to the structural reviewer for a catch.

On the flip side, if this is a small project like a home or very small office building I would not think twice, if it was a very large commercial project I would voice a note back requesting separate pages.

With everything electronic drawings today, it would literally take 3 - 4 minutes from start to finish to make 2 pages.

But in the end, its correct and meets the requirements