• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stud Penetration >40%

Simpsons ICC-ES report requires engineering analysis for use of their stud shoes.....http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files//ESR-2608.pdf

Last 4 lines of 2.1 or so....

Thanks steveray.

from the report:
2.1 Stud Shoe Connectors:
"...When the size of the cut, notch, or drill hole exceeds the maximums specified in the code, the Simpson Strong-Tie stud shoes may be used provided an engineered design is submitted in accordance with Section 2301.2 of the IBC or Section R301.1.3 of the IRC, as applicable."

2015 IRC R602.6:
"Exception: Use of approved stud shoes is permitted where they are installed in accordance with the manufacture's recommendations."

Reactions: JBI
Thanks for linking to the report Steveray. That cleared it up for me. And, the bottom line is that the building inspector would have to approve the use of stud shoes regardless. I just thought I'd state the exact wording... ;)