• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Studio Apartment w/ Attached Garage (R302.5.1)

Catchy-Pictures-Of-Studio-Apartments-SPR622.jpg

Can that door go into an attached garage? no.

What if for Tesla car owners only??

It doesn't really sound like a "1 or 2 family" building....I guess that would be where to start.
It falls under the IRC as it is a "dwelling unit" by definition and there is not more than two dwelling units onsite.. The issue is strictly fire. CO was not addressed in the codes until recently. Is there a separate door leading directly to the outside for egress purposes since the code prohibits you from exiting through a garage.

DWELLING. Any building that contains one or two dwelling units used, intended, or designed to be built, used, rented, leased, let or hired out to be occupied, or that are occupied for living purposes.
DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.

R311.1 Means of egress.
All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage.

"there are 8-10 of these units in this building."

Missed that
Then the proper code section that should have been cited is;

IBC

406.3.4 Separation.
Separations shall comply with the following:

1. The private garage shall be separated from the dwelling unit and its attic area by means of gypsum board, not less than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness, applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than a 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent and 1/2 -inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to structures supporting the separation from habitable rooms above the garage. Door openings between a private garage and the dwelling unit shall be equipped with either solid wood doors or solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (34.9 mm) in thickness, or doors in compliance with Section 716.5.3 with a fire protection rating of not less than 20 minutes. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Doors shall be self-closing and self-latching.

It has been wrong since the day it was constructed unless there is a local amendment we are unaware of

Findings
■■ An estimated 6,600 residential building garage fires were reported to United States fire
departments each year and caused an estimated 30 deaths, 400 injuries and $457 million
in property loss.
■■ Residential building garage fires are considered part of the residential fire problem and
comprised about 2 percent of all residential building fires.
■■ Fires originating in residential building garages tend to be larger and spread farther than fires
that start in other areas of a residence.
■■ Of residential building garage fires, 93 percent occurred in one- and two-family
residential buildings.
■■ The leading causes of residential building garage fires were “electrical malfunction” (16
percent); “other unintentional, careless” action (15 percent); and “open flame” (11 percent).
■■ Residential building garage fires occurred most often in the colder months of January and
December (at 10 percent each). Additionally, residential building garage fires also peaked in
July at 10 percent.
■■ Electrical arcing was the most common heat source in residential building garage fires
(17 percent).

What's 15% of 2%?

Wow

Even with a door to the bedroom
If there is a door to the bedroom, then it is not opening directly into a sleeping room. But that would not be a studio apartment that would be a one bedroom apartment. A studio apartment does not have a door to the bedroom. it is typically a large room for all living functions and a bathroom.

I think what CDA is saying and I kinda agree with is this: My sisters 5,000 sqft house has only 1 door between her bed and the garage, the garage door. But the bedroom is 75' away....There should be a line there, I just don't know where it is....

I think what CDA is saying and I kinda agree with is this: My sisters 5000 sqft house has only 1 door between her bed and the garage, the garage door. But the bedroom is 75' away....There should be a line there, I just don't know where it is....
So, there are no doors on the bedrooms? Only a door between the house and the garage?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is slightly less dense than air; does it migrate? Yes, how far would depend on density. But there is nothing in the code that says after twenty from the source it is safe. And where would you measure the twenty feet from? tail pipe?

The code says a separation needs to be provided because of hazards. CO and fire come to mind. in the past we thought nothing of providing a wood burning or gas burning fire place in a bedroom. Now that too is a no-no.
Code change, code adapt, now with CO detectors, the door thing could go away?

Ok so I am almost done with this, just one more what if,,,,

What if the same layout,

But, I walk from the garage, through a door into a washer dryer room,,, say 6' x 6'
room, then through another door into the studio \ bedroom area???

Now am I legal ?

The original code section is about fire and compartmentalizing buildings to reduce the spread of fire and smoke. (that is how it was done under the Legacy Codes) Smoke will kill you long before the fire gets to you even in your sisters house where the bedroom is 75 ft from the garage. If you have a bedroom door and it is closed you will have a greater time frame to awaken and escape before being overcome by smoke.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigation...-Saving-Seconds-in-House-Fires-344042552.html

So, there are no doors on the bedrooms? Only a door between the house and the garage?

No door on the master suite...Enter through a doorless right angle vestibule thingy....Funny MT, because she is in the DFW area, I am sure all of the detectors between them and the car hole would wake them pretty early on, giving more time to awaken and escape...IMO the door does you no good if you do not know there is a fire...

20% of all smoke detectors in a fire incidence did not work. Most people do not know they have a 10 to 15 year life span and should then be replaced

IMO, the opening post said door opened into KITCHEN, Install CO2 alarm and 20 min properly sealed fire door with self closing hinges. Its an existing CofO structure not new build, think there is some over thinking going on.

Door opened into the studio, which contained the sleeping area, along with the kitchen/living. I don't think it is over-thinking. JMHO