• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Studio Apartments EERO

Andy M

I am converting a first floor commercial space into R-2 apartments and due to the constraints of the space (long rectangular plan with exterior walls only on short ends), the only place for the Emergency Escape and Rescue Opening (EERO - IBC 2018 Section 1030) is directly adjacent to the single exit door. I cannot find any code requirement in IBC for remoteness of those two exits, so assuming this would be acceptable although logic says that they should have some separation. Is anyone aware of any code dictating the separation of EERO from primary exits?

If you have a door, and the EERO can be next to it....Sounds like you don't need the window...And welcome to the forum! I know Greg and Michelle that work in the Portland Building department and they seem like good people if you work with them at all...

An EERO is not an "exit". It is for "escape and rescue" only.

Notice in section 1030.1 the beginning of the sentence: "In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter..."
"In addition to the means of egress" tells us that an EERO is something other the rest of a means of egress system - - so it's other than a complete exit and exit access configuration that is referenced in the IBC 1007 remoteness requirement.
As such, there is no requirement for remoteness of the EERO from the rest of the exit or exit access system.

Here's why the code does not want to treat it as an exit: If it were an exit, then it would need a code compliant path-of-travel to the public right of way. It's hard to picture every bedroom window with a sill height at floor level, 6'-8" headroom, a landing on the outside, stairs and/or ramps down to grade level, operable hardware, etc.

Last edited:
My vision of a studio apartment has no walls separating a sleeping area from the rest of the space. With the exception of a bathroom, it is just one space. If the door meets the EERO requirements the window does not need to meet the requirements.

"Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way."

My vision of a studio apartment has no walls separating a sleeping area from the rest of the space. With the exception of a bathroom, it is just one space. If the door meets the EERO requirements the window does not need to meet the requirements.

"Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way."
interesting interpretation, I had not considered that, but it does make sense. Due to the studio apartment being one room, the EERO requirement is met with the presence of the required exit door. So in other words, no separate EERO. I wonder if the local AHJ will buy that argument.

interesting interpretation, I had not considered that, but it does make sense. Due to the studio apartment being one room, the EERO requirement is met with the presence of the required exit door. So in other words, no separate EERO. I wonder if the local AHJ will buy that argument.
It is not an argument, it is a fact.

If you have a door, and the EERO can be next to it....Sounds like you don't need the window...And welcome to the forum! I know Greg and Michelle that work in the Portland Building department and they seem like good people if you work with them at all...
Ha, I know Greg as well.

IMHO, I agree with others that are indicating that an EERO is met via the doorway in a studio apartment. If it was not a studio apartment and the bedroom had only a door directly to the exterior, no windows, that door would meet the EERO requirement. Therefore, I see no concern with the EERO immediately adjacent to the door, given that the door can serve as both the EERO and the exit.

Are you also meeting the travel distance requirements for a single exit in this conversion?

You need to look at Tables 1006.3.3(1) and 1003.3.3(2)

Yes, the key here for any bedroom door to also function as an EERO is that it must be an exterior door - - not a door that leads to the interior of a building, such as a hallway.

Yes, the key here for any bedroom door to also function as an EERO is that it must be an exterior door - - not a door that leads to the interior of a building, such as a hallway.
Good call....I think we assumed the door would be exterior as the window Shirley would be....