• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Suitably Cutoff - Effectively cut off

Hyrax4978

I am trying to design a solution to the effectively cut off requirement for the separation and door ways between an existing hangar and existing adjacent space.

I can not find where the term effectively cut off is defined so i know how to achieve this. while i can find on google it appears to be two series of doors, but i would like to have the actual text of where this comes from and i can not find it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

• Love
Reactions: ICE
I found it in a couple locations. UFC 4-211-01 Dept of Def aircraft maintenance hangars as well as NEC NFPA 70 section 513.3 B and D.

The UFC says "suitably cutoff" is defined in NFPA but i can not find that to save my life.

Is it simply some walls and doors. does it require sealing at the floor and around the door leaf? etc etc. could be simple, could need more detailing.

This one must have people stumped. Not even a sarcastic reply!
I searched NFPA for the term suitably cut off and effectively cut off and it comes up for repair garages also. But still can't seem to get a definition to save my life.

Thank you,

I'm not near my office, but NFPA has a glossary somewhere on their Web site that might help if in fact NFPA ever defined the term.

Its not in the glossary. Interesting enough the idea of A.I. was brought up, so I used it to try and find a solution. After multiple conversations with A.I. i am fairly confident the definition does not exist.
NFPA interpretations are limited to yes and no answers. so I think the next steps are to see what the AHJ is thinking.