• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Superior walls

I have worked extensively with Superior Walls in Pennsylvania and will tell you that they are very quick to walk away from a warranty claim based on the installer not following manufacturer guidelines which, although are basic, are extremely important. I have personally seen 4 Superior Wall failures and all of them were related to improper installation. The installation of the top plates are more critical than they should be and Superior Walls needs to know exactly where your basement stairwell is going to be located, because, if it is along side an exterior wall, they have to specifically engineer that into the plan. Often, they don't know or don't ask. The level of unbalanced backfill is also critical to their design. I never once saw a Superior Wall installed with the studs receiving backfill and the smooth side to the interior of a basement or crawlspace. They are simply not designed that way.

Your best course of action is directly with Superior Walls themselves and provide the plans and photographic evidence of the installation. There should be insulation on the inside between the ribs with the SYP treated furring strips on them for drywall nailers.