• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

System worked

fatboy

Administrator
Subject: Fire Sprinkler Stops Fire @ Auto Dealership

At 7:33 PM Sunday evening (3/25/12) firefighters from the Greeley Fire Department were called to 2699 47th Av (Weld County Garage) in Greeley on a fire alarm. Upon their arrival, responding fire crews found the fire alarm system activated and no signs of fire from the outside of the building. Upon gaining access to the business, which was closed and unoccupied, fire crews began searching the building and discovered a smoke smell coming from the “wash bay” area. As they got closer, fire crews could hear water running and eventually found a fire sprinkler head had been activated and had extinguished a fire in an electric vehicle. Fire crews closed the sprinkler valve to stop the water flow and began opening doors to ventilate the smoke from the building.

Upon closer investigation it was determined that a fire had started in an electric vehicle which generated enough heat to activate 2 fire sprinkler heads above the vehicle which ultimately extinguished the fire. No other sprinklers flowed water or created water damage. The exact cause of the vehicle fire remains under investigation and total damage is estimated @ $7,000 ($2,000 property damage and $5,000 contents damage in the fire area). No injuries were reported.

Statistics show that when fires occur in a building with a fire sprinkler system, 88% of those fires are extinguished by 1 or 2 sprinkler heads. It is a common myth, often seen in movies, that when a fire occurs in a sprinkler protected building, all heads flow water. This isn’t true and this fire is a good example of how fire sprinklers are designed to operate.

Looks like the high performance batteries for electric cars are having the same issues that laptop batteries have had from time to time. The Lithium ion battery technology is not very fault tolerant with the thermal runaway and ignition potential.

Fatboy, was this a newspaper report? If so, the reporter deserves credit for the last paragraph.

Yes, this was a press release, not sure who exactly authored it, but I can tell you for sure the all info came from our Fire Marshall, and the spin. Sharp guy, we work very closely with him.

Frank said:
Looks like the high performance batteries for electric cars are having the same issues that laptop batteries have had from time to time. The Lithium ion battery technology is not very fault tolerant with the thermal runaway and ignition potential.
They use the same batteries.

Yes, the Fire Marshall wrote the release.

So, a question came up at our Councils meeting last night, one of the coucil folks asked if there were any codes in place that for residential occupancies where someone that ended up owning one of these EV's, or CNG, would require additional protection.

This is the same council that had me amend out RFS's altogether. I know the RFS is not required in the garage, but at least the structure was covered.

fatboy said:
This is the same council that had me amend out RFS's altogether. I know the RFS is not required in the garage, but at least the structure was covered.
You should have gave em an insane smile and asked - 'Are you wanting to wrestle the pig?'

I know the RFS is not required in the garage, but at least the structure was covered.
FB,

A relatively cheap fix could be to amend an ordinance to require a "listed" heat detector for the garage to inner connect with the smoke detector/alarms. At lease the occupants will have a warning before the fire breaks through the scuttle hole or kitchen/pantry door? No need to get into the RFS discussion today :)

Nah, I wouldn't want to get into the RFS again. My point was that ironically, the same folks that point blank wanted RFS gone, now want some protection for the storage of EV's and CNG vehicles.