• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tankless water heater distance from gas meter

Jacknich

I plan to install a tankless water heater outdoors, on the same side of the house as the gas meter. The NFPA says most electrical switches, relays, and similar controls that can create a spark when operated are considered a "source of ignition" since the tankless water heater contains a "source of ignition" I think the answer is 3 feet but I want to be sure. I am in Los Angeles County, California.

Welcome

Might check to see if the installation instructions say anything

Were you going to get a permit???

I have the permit from ladbs. I didn't consider the distance from the gas meter when I got the permit but I did submit the question on their website yesterday. How knows how long it might take to get an answer. I was hoping to get most of the work done this weekend.
And, I did check the installation instructions. There is a table showing a lot of clearances but don't see anything specific about the distance from the gas meter.

Should have asked any openings close to the house,, where you want the heater???

Give it a few days for great answers

I think 3 feet is your number

Aside from the crawl space vents and attic vent, there is only one bathroom window on that side of the house. The heater will be several feet from the window so that's not a problem. If I put the tankless heater 3 feet from the meter it will be within 2 feet of the AC condenser.

Regarding leak test. It's not specified on the permit but I plan to do it anyway.

I also pulled a separate electrical permit for the service disconnect.

That does show 3 feet from the Gas meter house line which puts the tankless heater almost directory above the AC condenser. Hmmm.
Thanks for that drawing Mark.

That does show 3 feet from the Gas meter house line which puts the tankless heater almost directory above the AC condenser. Hmmm.
Thanks for that drawing Mark.
You do not want to install the water heater above the AC Condenser,
Clearance at the Top of the Outdoor AC Unit, most manufactures of AC Condensers require at least 60 inches of vertical clearance for air to adequately circulate in and out.
If the both are functioning at once the AC unit will blow out the heat and flames and there will be no hot water.

I suppose my only option is to install it in an area well past the condenser on the guest bedroom exterior wall. I was hoping to avoid the bedroom wall by mounting it closer to the bathroom and closet wall, but those are above the gas meter and AC condenser.

Plus take into account water supply to and from

Calif allows gas fired appliances???

I suppose my only option is to install it in an area well past the condenser on the guest bedroom exterior wall. I was hoping to avoid the bedroom wall by mounting it closer to the bathroom and closet wall, but those are above the gas meter and AC condenser.
Or relocate the condenser

i missed where it said if the WH was electric or gas. You might want to check with the gas company, I have worked where the gas company required electrical source of ignitions to be at least 6' from the meters.

Typically no requirement in code...Utility stuff is generally exempt from NFPA 54. WH installation instructions I can get to, but not really utility requirements...