• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

TBCF 2021 was a better year than 2022

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am not sure what I can do to help generate more activity on this forum, but we are certainly down when we compare 2022 to 2021.

Active users: -18%

Page views: - 15%

New users: -19%

Does anyone have any ideas that they think would help increase traffic here?

Approach specific State or regional groups and invite them to use it as their own personal forum....That's what I have been pushing....

Approach specific State or regional groups and invite them to use it as their own personal forum....That's what I have been pushing....
I am already set up for that. I have reached out before but many groups have their own archaic system. Reaching out is that hard part.

1. Consider allowing unpaid users to post photos. The pay-to-play model will turn many new users away.
2. Consider changing how the ads appear embedded in your site. For most of my experience visiting here the ads are usually blocked, but for a week or two they were coming through and it was annoying as heck. Primarily the ones that show up in between the list of posts.

1. Consider allowing unpaid users to post photos. The pay-to-play model will turn many new users away.
2. Consider changing how the ads appear embedded in your site. For most of my experience visiting here the ads are usually blocked, but for a week or two they were coming through and it was annoying as heck. Primarily the ones that show up in between the list of posts.
Second those. I don't mind paying to post but the ads do bother me. I don't see them on other bulletin boards, or certainly not a relentless as here.

It is a benefit to paying members so I don't know how to give more to paying than non-paying, plus it is a safety thing.
Consider changing how the ads appear embedded in your site. For most of my experience visiting here the ads are usually blocked, but for a week or two they were coming through and it was annoying as heck. Primarily the ones that show up in between the list of posts.
We don't have as much control over that as I would like. I see exactly what others see but I suppose I just ignore them after all these years. Without the ads we would not exist.

Second those. I don't mind paying to post but the ads do bother me. I don't see them on other bulletin boards, or certainly not a relentless as here.
We need the ads to survive. We could never exist just based on membership alone. I use Chrome and see a lot of ads but I don't focus on them so just like some people have selective hearing, I have selective vision because the ads don't distract or bother me.

One of the other problems is that Google changes the rules so the ads don't generate as much revenue as it did in the past.

Some years ago I was talking with Jeff about the practical applications of a forum. I envisioned ways to use a forum to bring everybody to the same level of expertise.

This is what Jeff suggested. He would provide space for a private section devoted to Los Angeles County Building Safety. The County employees would be provided access and nobody else. The participants would be able to remain anonymous with the exception of the administrator.

My reasoning for doing this was that there are more than a dozen district offices and well over a hundred inspectors. Training would be easy to push out. A wealth of County specific knowledge could be created. The inspectors could post a picture with a question and one of the hundred County engineers could get a notification and deliver an answer within a few minutes. A word search would have that issue and answer available for years.

I presented the idea to the top guy. He thought that it was a great idea. At a gathering of inspectors, engineers and management, the Building Code Forum was put up on the jumbo-tron screen. The concept was explained.

The district office managers shot it down. They said that they would not have absolute control if we were all shown the page that we were supposed to be on. The top guy was not a leader and the forum was never mentioned again.

Large sums are spent on making permitting and plan checking an online endeavor. That makes sense given the amazing technology available. Not much has been done to enhance the performance of the inspectors. Oh sure, the codes can be on an iPad. And it is clumsy at best with no explanation of the situation at hand. A real time forum would open up possibilities.

So heres my take on why the County abandoned the concept and stops short of helping the inspectors. Every office manager that I worked with said that I write way too many corrections. I would ask them to point to corrections that I should not have written. They would always say that the corrections are valid but there's too many and that creates work for everybody. You know, people complain about the corrections.....they need to have their hand held. Because the managers, other inspectors, and contractors have a limited understanding of the codes.....not a lot of corrections are written.....and then I show up.

So when I tell the County office managers that a forum would level the playing field, they shudder at the thought of all that extra work. If you think about it, the BCF should be mandatory participation by every building department. Why is is not? It takes a passion for the trade. I have shown the forum to inspectors and contractors, some of which are friends, yet none have been interested enough to participate. How many of you have had the same experience?

As to the ads. I appreciate that Jeff has a forum worthy of advertising dollars. The more the better. If there's enough revenue from ads he might be able to buy a car.

Last edited:
It is a benefit to paying members so I don't know how to give more to paying than non-paying, plus it is a safety thing.

We don't have as much control over that as I would like. I see exactly what others see but I suppose I just ignore them after all these years. Without the ads we would not exist.

We need the ads to survive. We could never exist just based on membership alone. I use Chrome and see a lot of ads but I don't focus on them so just like some people have selective hearing, I have selective vision because the ads don't distract or bother me.

One of the other problems is that Google changes the rules so the ads don't generate as much revenue as it did in the past.
Sure, I get it. You asked for feedback. I've only ever used two forums, this one and Mike Holts, so my feedback is limited to comparing these two sites. I get why you have the ads, and I get why you limit posting photos. I expressed those two points because that's what I experienced as a user. If you were able (or willing) to change either of those then I think you would find more new users and users that kept coming back.

Sure, I get it. You asked for feedback. I've only ever used two forums, this one and Mike Holts, so my feedback is limited to comparing these two sites. I get why you have the ads, and I get why you limit posting photos. I expressed those two points because that's what I experienced as a user. If you were able (or willing) to change either of those then I think you would find more new users and users that kept coming back.
I can open up the photo upload but then I am taking away a benefit from a paying member.

I can open up the photo upload but then I am taking away a benefit from a paying member.

Would there be a middle step? Maybe only a low quality image only? I bet some of the paying members could give you suggestions on other benefits that they might appreciate? Maybe only paying members get to choose an avatar photo? Or text options?

Or my trophies? Apparently your last "like" put me up to 250 likes, "Can't Get Enough of Your Stuff". I'd miss it, maybe that would get me to cough it up.

Let everyone post photos, raise sawhorse to $50, and omit ads for paid members. Everyone wins.

I asked admin at canoetripping.net how he gets by with no ads. I think 3000 registered users. When it had a software crisis and he took over and changed to Zen Foro, I think a lot of old timers chipped in.

What do other admins on the Zen Foro administrator forum say?

I am bewildered by the number of people I have recommended the form to in comparison to the ones who use it. One person mentioned feeling a little awkward because they were not paying members so they didn't want to use a resource they didn't deserve. I tried to quell this notion. As far as I know most, if not all of us started that way, and then some felt like we got enough out of it to pay for it. I encourage everyone to use it, and if they like what they see to then consider paying...even though they can get most of the value from it for free. I am amazed how many don't even use it for free, and I can't figure out how to attract more use or users.

ICE's story does ring true in some ways. I have been in large shops and in small. The large shops tend to silo themselves within, and there may be a notion that the only peer review they need comes from within....especially the managers. Small shops tend to be a lot more willing to reach outside of the organization for knowledge. So if I were looking for a target audience, I would try to see if there is a way to get to the small shop, stand-alone inspector/reviewer/CBO types.

But, sadly, I think all 'round enthusiasm (lack of) is the main culprit. So many just don't care to look beyond an easy answer, and if they get that from the first person they ask then all critical thinking stops. JMHO.

But, sadly, I think all 'round enthusiasm (lack of) is the main culprit. So many just don't care to look beyond an easy answer, and if they get that from the first person they ask then all critical thinking stops. JMHO.
Yup, those "in the trade" tend to be lazy. Others who don't work on this side of the counter only want to hear one answer, and they get upset when they don't get that answer. Also I think there's a perception among lay users that code is "simple" or is a "one-size-fits-all" model. I think many come here looking for a specific answer or solution and they realize it's a way bigger world than they thought. It's overwhelming and they move on.

Only, only... only... ;) Do paying members get to edit their posts for silly typos?
Yes but with a time limit. We had someone get pissed and delete hundreds of their posts once and it screwed up all of the threads they started so we put a time limit on it.

Would there be a middle step? Maybe only a low quality image only? I bet some of the paying members could give you suggestions on other benefits that they might appreciate? Maybe only paying members get to choose an avatar photo? Or text options?
I don't have that ability to choose different quality photos based on status.