• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

TBCF 2021 was a better year than 2022

I am not sure what I can do to help generate more activity on this forum
Most of the activity is in the plan check/design realm. You have access to pictures of code violations. Perhaps you can spur some discussion with those pictures.

As to the question of allowing nonpaying members to post pictures.....well it couldn't hurt to give that a whirl and see what happens. You could always revert to no photos. I never understood how such a forum wouldn't generate a ton of pictures....but there's a lot that I don't understand.

The Average Day thread in Contractor Talk used to gain a thousand views in a couple weeks but since I stopped posting pictures it is taking several months.

The Average Day thread in Contractor Talk used to gain a thousand views in a couple weeks but since I stopped posting pictures it is taking several months.
You should have kept them and released them one pic at a time so you still had some left in your arsenal. I will have to get back in the field more often. Great idea by the way.

I never understood how such a forum wouldn't generate a ton of pictures....but there's a lot that I don't understand.
I've never posted a photo here, I'm not a paying member. In my early days here it bugged me that you had to "pay to play" and I have seen other new users make a comment about not being able to post photos. Many never continue to post. I understand that could be an incentive for me to become a paying member, but that hasn't been one for me. I would be concerned of backlash if I posted a photo of somebody's property or work. I am in a small town, everybody talks and it's just me here... Not saying it's a bad thing but wanted to share my hesitation as a possible explanation of why we don't see more photos.

Not seeing ads would be an incentive that might tip me over to becoming a paying member.

I would be concerned of backlash if I posted a photo of somebody's property or work. I am in a small town, everybody talks and it's just me here... Not saying it's a bad thing but wanted to share my hesitation as a possible explanation of why we don't see more photos.
That's why some of us try to stay as anonymous as possible....IMG_1784.JPG;)

I would be concerned of backlash if I posted a photo of somebody's property or work. I am in a small town
I had the same concern. Most of the pictures that I have posted are a closeup that makes it impossible to link to a property. I have posted thousands of pictures and they have been viewed over a half million times with no issues.

I had a website for about a year. The County got upset because they thought that I was disparaging inspectors. I was told that I can’t post pictures from work at a personal website. Apparently they never caught on to this forum. Of course, I haven’t shlt on their inspectors as much here as I did at Tigerloose.com.

I did the math and discovered that the pictures that I posted since 2011 have generated just about a thousand views per week. Now in my estimation, the pictures, with a few exceptions, were nothing special. People just like pictures.

Consider the Random Photos thread started by north star. In nine months there has been over five thousand views.

Pictures, as they say, are worth a thousand views. Open this up to pictures by anyone and watch the result.

I suppose that a lot of people would post a picture rather than try to describe the issue. I know that I did.

I am not sure what I can do to help generate more activity on this forum, but we are certainly down when we compare 2022 to 2021.
Out of curiosity what does 2022 look like compared to pre-pandemic? Say 2019 for example. I wonder if people are spending less time cruising the net...

I am surprised that those involved with code modification proposals do not post here more often to get feedback on their ideas. I have tried a number of times to start discussions about code proposals and am usually disappointed with the response.

Since BuildingCodeCollege.com (my company) became a corporate sponsor years ago, I have always thought it would be neat to work with Jeff to somehow use the forum as a way for students in my On-Demand Courses to discuss subjects from the courses. Still on my idea list...

I think that the changes in technology and the apps on phones have taken interest away from the old internet style "forum" typically used on desktops. This is likely unavoidable. I am experiencing this same struggle with my format at BCC being designed with desktop in mind. I am having to adapt to tiny little screens.

Those are some thoughts. I can't honestly say that I see a return on my sponsorship of this site in terms of enrollments at BCC, but for now I plan to continue. As an education provider, it's the small way my micro business can give back to my industry and support education and exploration of ideas. This is what I encourage free users of this forum to consider. Nothing is free. If you believe in something; if you appreciate it; Support it... ya cheap bastards! ha, ha!

I am surprised that those involved with code modification proposals do not post here more often to get feedback on their ideas.
I probably will. Joined after last IBC round. On the other hand, most of my proposals are very specific details affecting stages and assembly seating.

I agree with your attitude and plea to support this site. If I wasn't retired, I'd seriously look at the corporate level. Thank you for doing that!