• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Telephone Mounting Board Exposed Grade Stamp

DTBarch

SAWHORSE
Can someone point me to the code section(s) that address the requirement to leave the plywood grade stamp exposed (unpainted) for telephone mounting boards? An inspector told our contractor that the same requirement applied to plywood we installed on a wall to support shelving units in a storage room. I have been under the impression that the requirement was related to the mounting of electrical panels and accessories, not for general applicability. This is in a Type III-B building, Group B. Thank you.

@ ~ @

DTBarch, ...is the plywood Fire Retardant Treated Wood ( FRTW ) ?
If so, he may be referring to Section 2303.2.2 - Labeling, in the 2021
IBC.

I would not have a problem with having the label exposed &
viewable.

@ ~ @

@ ~ @

DTBarch, ...is the plywood Fire Retardant Treated Wood ( FRTW ) ?
If so, he may be referring to Section 2303.2.2 - Labeling, in the 2021
IBC.

I would not have a problem with having the label exposed &
viewable.

@ ~ @
I don't think the point is necessarily seeing it if it's not covered but the fact that inspectors saying it cannot be covered.

# ~ #

I apologize to anyone offended........I was trying to help.

# ~ #

# ~ #

I apologize to anyone offended........I was trying to help.

# ~ #
I surely hope no one was offended by your post. I was thinking the same thing as you, that the inspector may be wanting to see the FRTW label.

That said, given that the OP indicated Type III-B construction, FRTW would only be necessary if it were sheathing on the exterior wall. If interior, non-treated ply would be acceptable. And if the mounting board (in this case plywood) were installed on the exterior wall, I'd expect that the plywood would be installed on top of (interior face) of whatever the 2-hr wall assembly requires with appropriate blocking. FRTW would not necessarily be required but is permitted via 602.3 (below). Caveat is where the FRTW is part of the walls listing or a function of an interior finish requirement (IBC Ch. 8).

2021 IBC 602.3 Type III

Type III construction is that type of construction in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of any material permitted by this code. Fire-retardant-treated wood framing and sheathing complying with Section 2303.2 shall be permitted within exterior wall assemblies of a 2-hour rating or less.