• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tennessee determined to maintain high energy consumption position

CodeWarrior

The state of Tennessee is considering a bill that will prevent updating the energy codes, freezing them at the 2018 levels. This is proceeding despite the fact that Tennessee is the 2nd highest per capita consumer of electricity and and Memphis leads the nation.

Cities that want to update their codes will need state approval.

How is it a good thing to blindly impose new regulations? What pork barrel item is getting stroked? Newer isn’t always better.
Can you say what you mean by "blindly impose new regulations"?

In my experience, new codes must be adopted by elected officials in a publicly debated session. The theory is that the political opposition gets to poke all the holes in the new codes as possible to make sure this is in the best interest for those they serve.

Does this not happen in the US?

This thread could easily veer into a political discourse.

The article says that Tennessee is the second highest monthly electricity consumption in the nation. What state came in first and how is Tennessee even in the top ten?

Can you say what you mean by "blindly impose new regulations"?

In my experience, new codes must be adopted by elected officials in a publicly debated session. The theory is that the political opposition gets to poke all the holes in the new codes as possible to make sure this is in the best interest for those they serve.

Does this not happen in the US?
It absolutely does happen here in the US! The special interest groups and the uber wealthy own the politicians.

What Black Rock wants, Black Rock gets.

The article says that Tennessee is the second highest monthly electricity consumption in the nation. What state came in first and how is Tennessee even in the top ten?
It's all the musical instruments...We should probably ban them....I've spent some time in TN...Not the brightest bulbs so I do wonder why they use so much power...

They only look at insulation cost when increasing the required R-value and ignore the added cost of thicker studs, deeper trusses, etc. They also ignore the fact that heat loss or gain depends on the U-value, which is the reciprocal of the sum of the component R-values. The 2018 IBC already requires R-30 for commercial roof/ceilings and R-49 for residential roof/ceilings. R-30 decreases hear loss or gain by 96.7%. R-49 decreases heat loss or gain by 98%. This 60% increase in R-value equates to a 1.3% decrease in heat gain or loss. I believe that the law of diminishing returns set in a couple energy code cycles ago.

Tennessee has a lot of hydropower from the Tenessee Valley Authority dams, so they have probably electrified more than most other states.

They only look at insulation cost when increasing the required R-value and ignore the added cost of thicker studs, deeper trusses, etc. They also ignore the fact that heat loss or gain depends on the U-value, which is the reciprocal of the sum of the component R-values. The 2018 IBC already requires R-30 for commercial roof/ceilings and R-49 for residential roof/ceilings. R-30 decreases hear loss or gain by 96.7%. R-49 decreases heat loss or gain by 98%. This 60% increase in R-value equates to a 1.3% decrease in heat gain or loss. I believe that the law of diminishing returns set in a couple energy code cycles ago.

Tennessee has a lot of hydropower from the Tenessee Valley Authority dams, so they have probably electrified more than most other states.
Chasing a nickel with a dollar.

In Nashville last weekend, and grew up there. The amount of electricity consumed on/near Broadway is second only to the amount of beer consumed. I consumed a lot one one of those elements.

2x6 walls with studs 2' o.c. require only 1 more bd. ft./lineal foot than that of 2x4 walls 16" o.c. regardless of wall height. Add for the extra insulation cost and you are at about $1 per lineal foot extra. Simple payback in 3 years. Try making that on the stock market.

Our area is on 2018 (with amendments) and we plan to jump to the 2024 (with amendments).

If I may folks, I think I can relate to both pros and cons in a general manner (not specific to Tennessee).
On the one hand, there are unnecessarily complicated energy programs and code revisions that are hard to keep up with. Beaurocracy at its best. and on the other hand, there are quality homes then taken to the next higher level for the occupants (owner or renter).

Raising the minimum building code requirements to obtain a more efficient building isn't a problem. What gets everybody in a tizzy are the ever-changing bureaucratic code changes.

I get off my soapbox now..

What gets everybody in a tizzy are the ever-changing bureaucratic code changes.
Building codes have been around for a long time - arguably a little after 1900 in US - and there are thousands of code change submittals every cycle. This energy stuff is quite new - and seemingly more urgent - so I'm not surprised by major changes every cycle. We've hardly begun to figure it out, let alone achieve consensus. Then the homebuilders' grip on ICC who don't want to do anything different then they have (unless it increases their profit).
And what comes out of legislators at all levels....Just count on more change.