• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Thankless

ICE

Oh Well
New house. There is a tank-less water heater behind the white door.

DSCN0489.jpg

And there are no combustion air openings.

DSCN0490.jpg

Did you notice the sidewalk? It sure hides an ugly weep screed.

Some of the "direct vent" type tankless water heaters take the conbustion air in through the double wall flue pipe. This may be the case in this instalation.

Although not my choice for termination location I believe the gable vents are okay.

2009 IFGC

The vent terminal of a direct-vent appliance with an input of 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) or less shall be located at least 6 inches (152 mm) from any air opening into a building, and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) but not over 50,000 Btu per hour (14.7 kW) shall be installed with a 9-inch (230 mm) vent termination clearance , and an appliance with an input over 50,000 Btu/h (14.7 kW) shall have at least a 12-inch (305 mm) vent termination clearance .

MT..I have seen a few of those well over 100,000 btu.....and I think most manufacturers want more clearance than that, but we would need those install instructions to know that...

steveray said:
Intake into gable vents? where does the discharge go? Are those supposed to be cord and plug or hard wired?
they are gas heaters with power for the ignitors. no seismic strapping or in some jurisdictions a spill pan.

mtlogcabin said:
Although not my choice for termination location I believe the gable vents are okay.2009 IFGC

The vent terminal of a direct-vent appliance with an input of 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) or less shall be located at least 6 inches (152 mm) from any air opening into a building, and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) but not over 50,000 Btu per hour (14.7 kW) shall be installed with a 9-inch (230 mm) vent termination clearance , and an appliance with an input over 50,000 Btu/h (14.7 kW) shall have at least a 12-inch (305 mm) vent termination clearance .
This is not a direct vent appliance. Most of the ones I've seen have a 199k btu input rating. The installation instructions have all the details for clearances and they can be different with every manufacturer. Attic vents are not considered an opening into the building and neither would the door to the closet.

Most are cord and plug because they draw very little current. They usually list at 190,000 to 199,000 btu and are direct vent appliances. It looks to me like they have the wrong termination cap. Install the concentric kit (direct vent collar) and it is good to go.

I was rude. Welcome Cali. Kid. I agree with you answer because it was much like mine!! Looks like it needs a drip leg also for the gas pipe.