• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Building Code Forum, An Information Packed Site

Does a condo building built in1971 that has original wood louvre door in front of the steel exterior door legal or grandfathered in ? Thanks for any help.

Why the query?
Are you altering something?
When were the "steel doors" added?
What is the separation between doors?

Does a condo building built in1971 that has original wood louvre door in front of the steel exterior door legal or grandfathered in ? Thanks for any help.

I take you are talking the unit entry door??

If so say no problem

Check the condo rules, If you want to remove it.

Or remove it, and see if anyone notices

Me and my wife have been looking into getting an inground pool. but after reaching out to several contractors we have had mixed answer on the topic of the building line on my survey. We have a P.U.E. line that is set back 8' from our back fence that we would not be crossing. The building line (B.L.) is 14' from the back of my house which leaves us no room for a pool. My understanding for the building line was that no structure (house or anything that can be seen over the fence) can be on or past the building line. The more info i look up the more I get a headache. Some info that I have read say the purpose of the building line if for the subdivision to look uniform and to keep some structure. My question is what does an inground pool that will not be able to be seen and is not going over the P.U.E have to with that. I have had some pool contractors tell me you cant and others tell me they do it all the time. I have vetted all contractors and there procedures all include permitting so the ones who do it go through the process and are not cutting corners. Is it possible this is up to the person who is reading this perception of the rules?

Me and my wife have been looking into getting an inground pool. but after reaching out to several contractors we have had mixed answer on the topic of the building line on my survey. We have a P.U.E. line that is set back 8' from our back fence that we would not be crossing. The building line (B.L.) is 14' from the back of my house which leaves us no room for a pool. My understanding for the building line was that no structure (house or anything that can be seen over the fence) can be on or past the building line. The more info i look up the more I get a headache. Some info that I have read say the purpose of the building line if for the subdivision to look uniform and to keep some structure. My question is what does an inground pool that will not be able to be seen and is not going over the P.U.E have to with that. I have had some pool contractors tell me you cant and others tell me they do it all the time. I have vetted all contractors and there procedures all include permitting so the ones who do it go through the process and are not cutting corners. Is it possible this is up to the person who is reading this perception of the rules?
Christopher, you will need to reach out to your local Planning Department, as this is a local zoning code requirement. I would suggest drawing up a sketched site plan to show them where you want to put the pool, and ask for their feedback.

Good luck!

welcome

I would not ignore the line.

Will you clarify this::

“”The building line (B.L.) is 14' from the back of my house ””

building line means a designated line drawn along the edge of a municipality’s sidewalk beyond which a building cannot extend. It helps to maintain a uniform appearance and prevents buildings from being built too close to a street or other properties. It is generally laid by statutory authorities for buildings or by local ordinances. Usually no developments are allowed within a building line. It is also referred to as a setback requirement, or a setback line.

read thru this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...your-back-yard-but-theyre-there-for-a-reason/

You should check with the city to see if a pool is included in no you can’t build that