• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Building Code Forum Recommended Tools for Inspectors

Some kind of "Level" or "Bubble Level" app on your cell phone or tablet.

The problem is which one. Most of them read out in degrees and decimals of a degree, and/or radians. The trick is to find one that also offers fractions of an inch per foot, or just a ratio (like 1:20) for checking ramps without doing conversions. I have one I like on an old tablet, but I discovered to my dismay when installing it on a newer tablet that the developer has "improved" the app -- and the new version doesn't offer what I need. Still haven;t figured out how to migrate the old version to the newer tablet. It's supposed to be possible with a Bluetooth connection, but that's above my pay grade.

The problem is which one. Most of them read out in degrees and decimals of a degree, and/or radians. The trick is to find one that also offers fractions of an inch per foot, or just a ratio (like 1:20) for checking ramps without doing conversions. I have one I like on an old tablet, but I discovered to my dismay when installing it on a newer tablet that the developer has "improved" the app -- and the new version doesn't offer what I need. Still haven;t figured out how to migrate the old version to the newer tablet. It's supposed to be possible with a Bluetooth connection, but that's above my pay grade.
Agree, we have a torpedo level and 2' level that have all of the degrees, grades, and fractions we can use. We use those in conjunction with a 4' & 6' level placing one on top of the other.

I have an app on my Android phone (and have had for quite a few years) called "Smart Tools"; it includes bubble levels (including the ability to show roof pitch, percentages, inches per foot, etc.), a sound meter, a compass and a Luxmeter that can do both Lux and Footcandles (to name only a few). I just found that they have an upgraded version on the Google Play Store ('Smart Tools 2') .. at an "outrageous" price of $4.50! It was worth every penny when I purchased the original one so many years ago, and I didn't hesitate to re-purchase! I'm not sure if there's something similar for iPhone users ... I'm not an Apple user.

Agree, we have a torpedo level and 2' level that have all of the degrees, grades, and fractions we can use. We use those in conjunction with a 4' & 6' level placing one on top of the other.

I also carry a 6" (maybe it's 8") torpedo level and a 24" carpenters' level in my vehicle. Of late, I have found more times to use the phone app than the physical level, but that may be a function of the types of inspections I do. As a known accessibility consultant, I often get called in when there are questions pertaining to accessibility.

I have an app on my Android phone (and have had for quite a few years) called "Smart Tools"; it includes bubble levels (including the ability to show roof pitch, percentages, inches per foot, etc.), a sound meter, a compass and a Luxmeter that can do both Lux and Footcandles (to name only a few). I just found that they have an upgraded version on the Google Play Store ('Smart Tools 2') .. at an "outrageous" price of $4.50! It was worth every penny when I purchased the original one so many years ago, and I didn't hesitate to re-purchase! I'm not sure if there's something similar for iPhone users ... I'm not an Apple user.

Thank you. I was not aware of that one, and I will look into it.

It turns out there is also a Smart Tools Mini from the same app developer. The full version costs $4.50, the Mini version is $3.50. I decided to try the mini version -- good choice. None of the Smart Tools apps from this developer are available on my 7" Samsung Tab A2 -- almost certainly because it's too old and the Android version can't be updated to anything near current.

So I switched to a somewhat newer 8" Samsung Tab A. The made the Smart Tools apps from this developer available. My needs/wants are modest and this was an experiment, so I opted to cheap out and install the Mini version. What I found is that the protractor works and can be set for roof pitch (x:12), as well as degrees, so it can be useful for checking framing as well as for ramps slopes (which is what I'm most likely to use it for). It has a decibel meter -- I already have two decibel meter apps, neither of which appears to be accurate, and I don't think this one is any better.

The Mini also includes a lux meter. Light level readings in lux are not easily useful, because you have to convert to footcandles, but it's better than nothing. However, on the Tab A the lux meter doesn't work. It reports a sensor is missing. Not helpful, as it doesn't say what sensor is missing, so I have no idea what I should be looking for if I wanted to upgrade to a newer tablet (which I don't).

So basically I paid $3.50 for a level app that reads directly in units of roof pitch.

My tools:
Headlamp
dollar store tape measure (metric/imperial). Cheap, but functional and I don't cry if it gets lost/destroyed
laser measuring tool (used for derelict inspections)
Sharpie (for marking bad things, illustrating things as required)
telescoping mirror
phone

Backup tools (Kept in truck)
Stapler/red tuck tape (for posting orders/notices)
scissors
battery-powered printer (rarely used)
backup flashlight (rarely used)
moisture meter
screwdriver, utility knife (for checking fire stops, primarily)

It turns out there is also a Smart Tools Mini from the same app developer. The full version costs $4.50, the Mini version is $3.50. I decided to try the mini version -- good choice. None of the Smart Tools apps from this developer are available on my 7" Samsung Tab A2 -- almost certainly because it's too old and the Android version can't be updated to anything near current.

So I switched to a somewhat newer 8" Samsung Tab A. The made the Smart Tools apps from this developer available. My needs/wants are modest and this was an experiment, so I opted to cheap out and install the Mini version. What I found is that the protractor works and can be set for roof pitch (x:12), as well as degrees, so it can be useful for checking framing as well as for ramps slopes (which is what I'm most likely to use it for). It has a decibel meter -- I already have two decibel meter apps, neither of which appears to be accurate, and I don't think this one is any better.

The Mini also includes a lux meter. Light level readings in lux are not easily useful, because you have to convert to footcandles, but it's better than nothing. However, on the Tab A the lux meter doesn't work. It reports a sensor is missing. Not helpful, as it doesn't say what sensor is missing, so I have no idea what I should be looking for if I wanted to upgrade to a newer tablet (which I don't).

So basically I paid $3.50 for a level app that reads directly in units of roof pitch.
Although I was singing the praises of this app, we all need to realize that although a Swiss army knife gives you a lot of tools to use, specific tools work better and more effectively!

I own more than one Swiss Army Knife. I was willing to spend the $3.50 to see what the Mini version offered, since the new and improved version of the bubble level app I have is IMHO vastly inferior to the old version. It was disappointing to find that the app you recommended won't install on the tablet I prefer to use on site, but it did install on the newer one so I was able to check it out.

It's not the app's fault that my tablet doesn't have whatever sensor is required to use the lux meter. However, in fairness to prospective buyers I think the developer should list what sensors are required in order to use the various tools. I know that Samsung A series phones and tablet aren't their top of the line models, but they're not garbage, either. The lux meter was the other tool in that app that I would like to have. I own an actual lux meter, but I don't carry it around with me -- it sits at home unless I know I'll be needing it.

knee pads for crawling around in a crawl space.
It's a good thing the women don't know what's down there... right there under their feet. Me neither 'cause I don't enter crawl spaces. I wear the respirator for attics.. and emptying the Dyson vacs.

20240122_115120.jpg

Last edited:
flashlights
A door weight tester
6" electronic level
multibit screwdriver
A meat thermometer (to check water temp.)
A contactless thermometer (to check that the soil and forms are not below freezing).
knee pads (for crawl spaces)
10' and 50' tape measure
GFI/contactless voltage tester
cell phone (with some useful apps)
helmet
safety vest
harness and lanyard.
safety goggles
pens
tablet
made my own thing for knee/toe space for lavatories like Yikes above.

Here's what the Los Angeles Neutral Accessibility Consultant (NAC) uses to measure distance between nosings to ensure riser and tread compliance, even where risers are angled. They measure to the closest 1/8" and will flag any variation greater than 3/8" from the shortest to the tallest riser on any given flight.

1705972370977.png

They also use a 6" digital slope meter on each tread:

1705972664562.png