• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Calif. Building Code

Rider Rick

Silver Member
House with detached garage built in Calif. in 1977

Same house with garage permitted change of use for part of garage to bedroom with bath 1983 built and finish without any inspections.

Today building Inspector says the Calif. Code requires bedroom to be brought up to current code to get final.

My question is what needs to be brought up to code?

Rick

Re: The Calif. Building Code

Ceiling height, room dimensions, light and ventilation, EEAR opening?

What deficiencies were identified?

Also possibly insulation R-values, fenestrations U-values (Energy Code stuff).

Anything that was done without permits needs to be verified that it meets current codes. You need a licensed professional (Contractor, Architect or Engineer).

Thanks Mark.

The garage was built and finaled in 1977. In 1983 a permit was pulled to change 1/3 of the existing garage to a bedroom and bathroom.

Apparently no inspection were done. The garage foundation, exterior walls and roof are as built and finaled originally, a partician wall was added between the garage and the bedroom/bathroom.

The bedroom has a egress window.

What is required to get a final today per Calif. Code?

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks everyone for your replies :cool:

Is the Calf. Building Code that much different than the 2006 International Residential Code?

In Calif. can you change from a U Occupancy to R Occupancy without a new foundation?

Rick

Is there any Calif. Building Inspectors on this Building Code Message board that can help me understand the Calif. code requirements for earthquake loads?

Thank you,

Rick

Rick Taylor said:
Is the Calf. Building Code that much different than the 2006 International Residential Code?In Calif. can you change from a U Occupancy to R Occupancy without a new foundation?

Rick
1. Yes - It is built on the 2006 International Building Code, not the 2006 Residential Code.

2. Yes - Might need to add some anchor bolts and Simpson (or equivalent) holddowns to bring it up to current code. This depends an awful lot on what part of CA the structure is located in.

Sue, lost on the frontier

Easiest method if it were here would be:

1. Go to the Building Dept. and apply for the permit

2. Show them the best rendition of plans you can provide/create that depicts the work done.

3. Ask what needs to be exposed for inspections.

4. Request that all/most code compliance issues be field verified by the inspector, rather than included on plans.

5. Be courteous, humble, and polite - develop a good relationship with the inspector and he/she will probably guide you for any minor corrections needed.

Thank you Paul,

That is good advise and I will pass it along.

Rick

Rick Taylor said:
Hello Sue,Simi Valley Calif.

Thank you,

Rick
Well, that's near the coast/major fault lines which equals the strictest rules for seismic retrofits. So, I would do what Vegas Paul said, contact the local building department.

One of my major concerns is that there are no openings between the sleeping portion and the garage. It sure sounds like someone needed an in-law apartment on the q.t. I would also check the zoning for the parcel.

Sue, lost on the frontier.........

It's been a while since you brought this up and I am wondering what the outcome was.

In the eyes of the Code, anything that was not legally permitted...and if it wasn't finalled it was not legally permitted...does not exist. Then the work must comply with the Code in effect at the time of making application for the new permit, under which the final will be obtained. This should include, but not be limited to, wind and seismic and structural in general, lifesafety and the State's Energy Conservation Standards. There are many differences in the Codes between then and now, but some are less restrictive rather than more. Unfortunately, one thing that in no manner got less restrictive over time is conventional light frame construction in general, and the conventional bracing rules in particular.

The advice to talk to the inspector is prolly some of the best advice you could get. Hopefully he/she is receptive and friendly and will help you obtain your final without you having to do too much destructive work to show hidden conditions. Just remember that you catch more flies with honey...yada yada...

I understand that this is a topic that was started a long time ago, but there are lessons to be learned...now as there were then. I hope all turned out well in any event.