• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Evolution of NM Cable: Tracing its Journey in Residential Wiring

The Evolution of NM Cable: Tracing its Journey in Residential Wiring​

NM Cable, widely known as Romex, revolutionized electrical wiring in residential settings. This article delves into its history, exploring the innovations and changes that shaped its development.

1922: The Dawn of a New Wiring Era
In 1922, the Rome Wire Company introduced NM Cable. This innovation emerged as a response to the limitations of existing wiring methods, focusing on enhanced safety and efficiency.

1926: Gaining Recognition
NM Cable's inclusion in the National Electrical Code (NEC) in 1926 marked a pivotal moment. This acknowledgment established it as a standardized and trusted wiring solution.

1950s: Advancements in Material Technology
By the 1950s, NM Cable underwent significant material transformations. The shift from cotton braid to synthetic spun rayon in cable jackets indicated a commitment to durability and safety.

1960s: The Grounding Conductor Revolution
The NEC amendments in the 1960s introduced grounding conductors in NM Cable, elevating its safety standards. This change aligned with the growing emphasis on electrical safety in residential construction.

1984: The Introduction of NM-B Cable
In 1984, NM-B cable, characterized by higher temperature-rated conductors and jackets, was developed. This iteration represented a stride towards meeting evolving safety requirements.

The Expansion Across the US
NM Cable's journey from invention to ubiquity reflects its growing acceptance. It became the preferred choice for residential electrical wiring, valued for its combination of safety, ease of installation, and cost-efficiency.

The Legacy and Future of NM Cable
Today, NM Cable stands as a testament to innovation in electrical safety. Its evolution from a novel concept to a fundamental component in residential wiring highlights an ongoing commitment to safety and efficiency in the electrical industry. Looking forward, NM Cable is poised to adapt to new challenges and technological advancements, maintaining its critical role in electrical safety standards.

Jar,
Thanks for the history!

Are there any old trail blazing electrician stories?

Sometimes there's other uses for ROMEX, like when your belt buckle breaks and you use ROMEX to hold up your britches or help hold the back doors of your electrical van shut.

Really guys?
Still busting my chops on Christmas Day???

Have a great day and a happy and prosperous New Year!!!
Just for the record folks, I interviewed Chris Kennedy for all tine content in this article. He has a wealth of NM cable knowledge which is why is will always be the Romex King. If anyone has any specific NM cable questions, Chris is the guy to ask. Feel free to PM him with any NM cable questions you may have.

I have a Q.

Do all manufactures make 12/2 with a yellow sheath now?
Is that a required code and if it is, what code cycle was it introduced?

I have seen light blue, yellow and white sheathing in the field.

If memory serves me correctly, the manufacturers started the color coding process in 2001, and was changed in the NEC in the 2002 edition. Chris Kennedy can probably add more information.