• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The first official what do you look like thread

Re: The first official what do you look like thread

jar546 said:
Chris, as long as that is not a Wiring for Dummies book, you are OK :p
No, but it is on my Christmas list.

In all fairness, here I am not hiding behind a code book. I'm the old guy on the left and that is my charming wife Cara next to me. Out for dinner and laughs with some good friends.

BMgoaway005.jpg

Paul:

Apparently it's a Champion, or is it a Commander? 1951 was the first year for Studebaker to offer an overhead valve V-8 in its Commander series. The Champion was a 6 cylinder, I had a 4 door Commander which was a V8. I had a friend in college who had a 52 Commander, I was riding with him one day and when going onto the freeway he "stepped on it" and it took off like a bat out of Hell, I asked what that was and he said if you pushed hard on the gas there was a passing gear that you hit. When we got home I couldn't wait to "step on" mine, and sure enough I had a passing gear too. They are great cars for San Francisco, they had "hill holders", when coming to a stop sign going up a hill you didn't have to step on the brake. Raymond Loewey told his design team : "It must look like zee aeroplane", and when the "Next Look" from Studebaker appeared in 1950, it did. The 1950-51 Studebakers with their bullet nose were well-received by the public and Studebaker set a new sales record with the 1950 model.

18507703.061lo.jpg

18508160.078lo.jpg

Somehow cars sure turned ugly by comparison, I guess it was when the government started telling the auto makers how they had to build them, safety features, energy efficiency, green, and all, hope that never happens with homes and other buildings.

conarb - You remind me of my Uncle Bob (No s#!t, I really had an Uncle Bob). He was my mothers' brother. Marine in WWII AND Korea. Made the best Prime Rib ever. He was a chef in Florida for many years. :)

U B - You DON'T remind me of my Uncle Bob, but that's OK ;) You're still a good egg.

Gene - Ummmm, yeah I know... :twisted:

Jeff - This was a good idea. :D

FM, and aparently very tastey too! LOL!!! Great pic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Script: I'm gonna have to attach these pictures to the email data base that was started back in October when the icc (international cash cow) canned the old BB!

For those that want to have your contact info added to the data base email me at: jim@ci.gillette.wy.us

Jeff, Great thread. It is sooooooooo nice to be able to attach a file or picture without a whole lot of hassel. :D

Vegas Paul, Too cool! I'll have to dig out a pic of my 1967 Camaro RS.

FM: I remember that picture Kissing the deer! :lol: I believe it was supposed to be the other end, from and old post maybe still in the old BB archives.

Conarb - Mines a Champion, with the flathead 6. That passing gear... it's really a 3-speed tranny with overdrive. When you are going highway speed in 3rd OD, then floor it, you engage a kickdown switch that takes you out of OD and back into 3rd-regular (which is essentially like a passing gear). That kickdown switch works in 2nd OD also. Borg Warner made that trans for several companies includint Willys, Plymouth and others. Nothing like a bullet-nosed Stude on a sunny day... more smiles per mile!

Paul:

Many agree that the most beautiful car ever produced in the United States was Raymond Loewey's 1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, I've see perfect ones go for $30,000, but good average condition cars can be had for $10,000.

1953%20studebaker%20starliner_1.jpg

Can't find a picture of me by myself so I'll post a car!

This is my 56 Chevy I restored and currently drive around!

364039058.jpg

Re: The first official what do you look like threadOK, now I have to go back into the witness protection program.....but here it is. Me, with my son on his last leave before deploying....(ya'll are going to get sick of hearing about that)Mule, SWEET ride, I need to find a pic of my 69 RS/SS Camaro to scan and put it up.
View attachment 2176

Last edited by a moderator:

fatboy, tell your son THANKS for everything he does!!

I got the 56 in 2001 and it took about 5 years to restore. Now all I do is upgrades. It's got a 350/330 HP, automatic, power steering, power disc brakes, and AC. Gotta have AC in Texas!

Mule - I'm about 5 years into my Studebaker - drive it a lot and do upgrades like you, but STILL NO A/C! I'm working on it but money's tight and the job security isn't so good... Maybe TX is the place to look!

Rjj & JP:

If I'm blessed with bagging "Monster Mash" this year, I'll keep a part of him and I'll post a pic that will look like the old Fleetwood Mac album cover :lol:

Photo of me, back in 2007 graduation.... I'm the one in the green.

DSC00016.jpg

Rick:

Who's handing you your diploma, in 1957 Herbert Hoover unexpectedly showed up and handed us our diplomas, the proudest day of my father's life.

Dean of Instructions at the time.

Or something. However, second degree "diploma" in a row. Talk about being around TOO long... Some will have a field day on college graduation ceremony #3. Anyway, this was college level. Clear example of where you might be when you have 250 or so college credits.

My family at our yearly stay at Catalina Island last August

Two typical California girls hangin' with the old guy........My daughter is more of a smart a$$ than I am, and she's only eight!

Catalina12009Family.jpg

Hey Rick are those braids folded under that robe or is that mortar board stuffed with dreadlocks?

I just watched "The Harder They Come" for the first time, and there was a church choir in that film that wore mortar boards as part of their choir outfit. I thought it was a great fashion statement.

Remember the Wizard of Oz' advice to the scarecrow too. He said you don't need brains to be a success, all you need is a diploma!

beach - If you think she's a smarta$$ now, wait'll she hits eightteen! :eek:

When I was 18 I could not beleive how stupid my dad was. When I was 25 I could not beleive how much he had learned in 7 years! :lol: :lol: :lol: