• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Future of Urban Spaces: Repurposing High-Rise Office Buildings - Thoughts?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
With the rise of remote work and urban housing crises gripping many cities, there's a buzz around repurposing high-rise office buildings. Imagine swapping out empty cubicles for vibrant living spaces, or merging work and play in the heart of our cities.

Why Consider Repurposing?

• Sustainability: Breathe life into old structures and promote green urbanization.
  • Economic Revival: ***** local businesses and revitalize declining commercial zones.
  • Solving Housing Woes: An innovative solution to the pressing housing demand.
But, Challenges Await:

• Zoning Laws: Anyone faced rezoning hurdles? How did you overcome them?
  • Safety & Design: Residential needs differ vastly from office requirements. Let's discuss solutions!
  • Financials: Are the retrofitting costs worth it? Any success (or horror) stories?
Mixed-Use - A Game Changer? Blending office, retail, and residential might be the future. It's vibrant, diversified, and oh-so-convenient! Thoughts?

I'd love to hear your experiences, opinions, and any innovative solutions you've come across. Let's brainstorm and shape the future of our urban landscapes!

In past years several buildings that are viewed as Dallas landmarks have been revived for residential after many years of sitting unused.

In downtown Dallas there are at least five highrise buildings being at least partially converted to residential. This one shows ten multifamily floors in Dallas’s 8th-tallest building. I think they’re under construction-

The city wants residential units in the central business district, so zoning is no problem. I suppose one hindrance for the central business district could be competing for residents with the seemingly very successful Arts District and Uptown.

When the bottom fell out in the early 80's. There were quite a few shell concrete high-rises up and down the beach in Broward and West Palm Beach counties. I thought they would make good Mausoleum's. You could name it "Stairway to Heaven" and naturally the east side and the higher up you go the more expensive a crypt would be.

A little off topic but similarly indoor shopping malls so poular in the 70's/80's are half vacant near me. There was a proposal to add a new floor on top for residential, and try to get some anchor tenants below, but it fell through. Monster buildings with tons of parking....empty.