• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Guinness History Thread

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Each time I go to Ireland, I visit the Guinness Factory Storehouse, take a tour, and go to the 7th floor, also known as the rooftop gravity bar for a pint of fresh Guinness. I am not much of a drinker to be honest and don't drink often, however, in Ireland, that changes for a wee bit. This time I attended the Guinness Academy and now have a certificate that I know the six steps of pouring a Guinness and proved that I can actually pour Guinness to perfection. This Academy, along with the tasting tour added more than 2+ pints to my Guinness Storehouse visit. It is a self-guided tour and they now have plenty of restaurants to choose from if you want to make the Guinness visit a solid half-day or more. I suspect some of you can make this a full-day visit.

One of the things I noticed is that Guinness in the USA is not exactly the same as it is in Ireland. For those that had Guinness is Ireland and the USA, what is your opinion on that? Is it the same to you?

Anyway, here is a little history on Guinness I would like to share with some pics from my most recent visit. Click on the thumbnails for full photos.

Once upon a time, in 1759, a young entrepreneur named Arthur Guinness signed a lease for a small brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Little did he know that this brewery would become one of the most famous beer brands in the world - Guinness.
Arthur Guinness was determined to create a beer different from the other beers in Ireland at the time. He wanted to make a smoother, creamier, and more flavorful beer. He spent years perfecting his recipe, experimenting with different ingredients and brewing techniques.
Finally, in 1769, Arthur Guinness created the recipe for Guinness that we know and love today. The beer was brewed with roasted barley, giving it a distinctly rich and creamy taste. It quickly became popular among the people of Dublin and the rest of Ireland.
As the years went by, Guinness continued to grow in popularity. In 1799, Arthur Guinness expanded his brewery to keep up with demand. By the mid-1800s, Guinness was exported to other countries, including England and the United States.
But it wasn't just the taste of Guinness that made it popular - it was also the unique way it was served. In the 1800s, Guinness began to be served in a pint glass with a distinct shape, known as a "Guinness glass." This shape was designed to enhance the flavor and aroma of the beer, and it quickly became an iconic symbol of the Guinness brand.
Today, Guinness is still brewed in Dublin using the same recipe Arthur Guinness created over 250 years ago. The brewing process begins with the roasted barley, which gives the beer its distinctive flavor. The barley is mashed with water, then the mixture is boiled with hops to create a rich and complex flavor.
After boiling, the liquid is cooled, and yeast is added, which begins the fermentation process. The beer is then left to ferment for several days when the yeast converts the sugars in the liquid into alcohol.
Once the fermentation is complete, the beer is transferred to large tanks and aged for several weeks. This aging process allows the flavors to develop fully and gives the beer its distinctive creamy texture.
Finally, the beer is bottled or canned and shipped worldwide, where millions of people enjoy it.
And so, the story of Guinness beer is a testament to the power of perseverance, innovation, and a commitment to quality. From a small brewery in Dublin to a worldwide phenomenon, Guinness has become an iconic symbol of Irish culture and a beloved beer worldwide.
IMG_1645.JPGIMG_1652.JPGIMG_1654.JPGIMG_1685.JPG

An Irishman goes into a pub and orders three shots of Bushmill's, neat. He downs them one at a time and leaves the pub without saying a word.

One year later on the same date he comes in again and does the same thing. The next year the same, and so on. After a few years the bartender says to him, "I mostly mind my own business, but I just have to ask you what it is that you are doing with the three shots of whisky."

The Irishman replies, "Well it's like this; me and my two buddies grew up together and went to war, and on the day we got out we swore that every year on that day, wherever we found ourselves, we would order a round of Bushmill's and down them in honor of our lifelong friendship.

This goes on for a few more years, until the Irishman comes into the pub on his usual day and orders two shots instead of his usual three. The bartender serves him the whisky solemnly and then says to him, "I am so very sorry for your loss." The Irishman looks confused for a moment, but then he laughs and says to the bartender, " Oh, no, we are all still alive; it's just that I have stopped drinking."