• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The Importance of Sheathing

MY ALTERNATIVE?
Don't presume.

My apologies. What was I to infer by "we should not be building in wildfire and wildfire interface zones, thinned or not", if not your opinion that we should be building other places instead? Have a lot of other places to build in Cali., do you?

It truly is a delicate balance between an owner's right to the enjoyment of their property and the safety of the public. The main issue I struggle with is the people who continue to rebuild in these areas using tax payer money.

Is densification the answer? It is for some. Others prefer wide open spaces. Luckily, America has availability to meet most, if not all, of people's ideal living situations. One of the positive impacts of COVID is that it has forced companies to embrace options for employees to work from home, removing doubt that it is a viable approach to business in many people's minds.

For instance, we have a lot of people moving to our province from more dense metropolitan areas. They are able to work from home here and can fly in for the one or two meetings a month that would need to be an in-person meeting. The best thing is that it is actually cheaper for them to do this because the cost of living in these dense areas is so much higher than my little rural province.

If wildfire, hurricane, flood, and seismic zones are out, then you might as well lock the doors to Cali. and call it done. Where do you build if you tell everybody in those areas no?
Not all of CA are in wildfire and wildfire interface zones, hurricane, flood, and High seismic zones.
you need to look at the hazard and the frequency. If the "disaster" happens ever year or two, you need to design for that hazard.
People are rebuilding with wood in the areas that just burned, people are rebuilding in the New Orleans, ninth ward, where it floods out every few years, WE (US Tax dollars and high insurance) are paying for that.

Not all of CA are in wildfire and wildfire interface zones, hurricane, flood, and High seismic zones.
you need to look at the hazard and the frequency. If the "disaster" happens ever year or two, you need to design for that hazard.
People are rebuilding with wood in the areas that just burned, people are rebuilding in the New Orleans, ninth ward, where it floods out every few years, WE (US Tax dollars and high insurance) are paying for that.
I do not really care where people build or live as long as they do not expect me to pay for their repairs/replacement when the bad thing happens. Most if not all insurance companies now determine your rate based on your zip code. Greater incidence of loss results in higher premiums--as it should.

I do not really care where people build or live as long as they do not expect me to pay for their repairs/replacement when the bad thing happens. Most if not all insurance companies now determine your rate based on your zip code. Greater incidence of loss results in higher premiums--as it should.
We all pay, though insurance or by taxes, we all pay.