• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The location of a the 3rd stage 2 PSI regulators under a house

patrickjames

In my office there was some discussion about the location of the 3rd stage 2 PSI regulators under a house located in the crawl space.

Are they required to be readily accessible, having direct access without the need of removing or moving any panel, etc. or can they be accessible ? requires the removal or a panel, door, or similar covering ?

NFPA 54 section 5.8.4 Location. The gas pressure regulator shall be accessible for servicing.

Manufacturer refers to nfpa 54 .

Is the crawl space accessible?

Thank you for your time.

It says "accessible". It does not say "readily accessible". If you can physically crawl up to the regulator and get a wrench or a screwdriver on it and service it, it is accessible.

I would be more concerned about how to ventilate it properly per the requirements in 5.8.5.

NFPA 54, 2018

Last edited:
The pressure regulator is usually located next to the meter. The gas company will not allow a meter to be placed under a house. The meter shall be in a well ventilated space and the regulator shall vent to the exterior.

A crawl space can have as little as 12” clearance under a girder and still qualify as a legal crawl space. If you want to have an accessible location in a crawl space 30“ clearance works for me….well I mean for you as I don’t enter crawl spaces.

Last edited:
It says "accessible". It does not say "readily accessible". If you can physically crawl up to the regulator and get a wrench or a screwdriver on it and service it, it is accessible.

I would be more concerned about how to ventilate it properly per the requirements in 5.8.5.

NFPA 54, 2018
Agreed