• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Threshold stop strip and ADA

Yikes

Gold Member
I ahave a client with buildings in a windy area, and at their exterior outswinging doors they have installed a metal "Stop strip" on top of the 1/2" high aluminum thresholds. The metal strip is about 1/4" high x 1/2" wide (see example at Pemko 184AP Mill Finish Aluminum Commercial Threshold Stop Strip - YouTube ), and it mounts on top of / and in the middle of the threshold, such that the total height is about 3/4".

Normally, I would think this does not meet ADA - - am I wrong?

You can't tell if something is compliant with a person holding a piece of aluminum on his shoulder

need a picture of it, installed

At no time can the threshold be greater than 1/2 inch.

If the threshold is 1/2 inch and you add height to it, it is not compliant

so the actual measurement you need to determine compliance with is not illustrated in your photos?

Unfortunately, the only photos I have are those above; the site in question is at a remote location, so I'm relying on another for this photo. I can tell you that the lower level of the threshold is 1/2" above the paving, and the threshold stop is 1/4" is above that.

Lori, you can see from the photos, there is a lot of fine dust on this site that blows into the buildings. So, apart from the threshold stop strip, what could you recommend to keep out the dust? I don't know if a door-mounted brush sweep is enough to keep out the fine dust. This is a desert area, subject to high winds.

Yikes said:
Lori, you can see from the photos, there is a lot of fine dust on this site that blows into the buildings. So, apart from the threshold stop strip, what could you recommend to keep out the dust? I don't know if a door-mounted brush sweep is enough to keep out the fine dust. This is a desert area, subject to high winds.
There are threshold systems that go on the bottom of the door and seal the threshold. Here's one ADA variant from Endura

http://www.enduraproducts.com/product-overview/sills/ada-compliant/index.aspx[/url]

There are door bottoms that are cut into the bottom rail of the door that drop down when the door is closed.

Yikes said:
There are thresholds with a stop strip that are ADA-compliant, like the NGP 896V (Product Detail - National Guard Products). The problem is that the clearance requirements are so tight at the bottom of the door, you end up with too much clearance so the gasket doesn't touch the door, or not enough clearance so the door won't operate. You could use a concealed automatic door bottom as suggested by others above, but they can sometimes become a maintenance issue. I don't usually specify auto door bottoms on exterior doors. I think a saddle threshold and a silicone sweep would probably perform just as well with less problems than the ADA-compliant gasket threshold and the auto door bottom.