• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tiki torch question

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I have been working with a three story R2 apartment complex trying to control gas and charcoal grills on thier balconies and now the tenants want tiki torches.

Section 308 addresses open flames, is this where I hang my hat or is there another section to address this problem? Please give me code sections if you could.

pc

308.4 Group R occupancies.

Open flame, fire and burning in Group R occupancies shall comply with the requirements of Sections 308.1 through 308.1.6.2 and 308.4.1

308.1.6.2 Portable fueled open-flame devices.

308.1.6.2 is the one I would use. Exceptions 3 and 4 will send you to restrictions in an "A" occupancy but those requirements are also specific to the R-2

Where do you draw the line for a HOME OWNER between a tiki torch, a citronella candle, a fondue pot or birthday candles. common sense is not always so common. On another board there is a thread about a code official trying to make a sprinkler contractor sprinkler inside a revolving door. A lack of common sense there.

Education is the key here. The ones used at my nieces wedding had a canister with a wick much like an oil lamp. You could turn them upside down and they did not leak. Then again her dad is the fire prevention chief for a resort community in S Fl so I would not have expected any that was not code compliant.

308.3.1 Open-flame decorative devices.

Open-flame decorative devices shall comply with all of the following restrictions:

1. Class I and Class II liquids and LP-gas shall not be used.

2. Liquid- or solid-fueled lighting devices containing more than 8 ounces (237 ml) of fuel must self-extinguish and not leak fuel at a rate of more than 0.25 teaspoon per minute (1.26 ml per minute) if tipped over.