• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet area exit

andrewaia

I have seen some threads about this subject but not quite my condition. I have a shared toilet room area (2) single toilet rooms accessed by a small corridor, which the plan reviewer says I need an exit to the exterior. the building has two tenants which will share the toilet rooms but of course will want to secure their respective door to the toilet area when they are closed. Reviewer wants exit for someone that might be in there when both doors are locked? Each tenant space is less than 2000 sf. a 26 seat restaurant and a convenience store. I would like to not have to add an exterior door just for this small area. Anyone else have this issue that can share your findings? I want to have the sign for 'doors must remain unlocked during business hours', but this is not a main entry so I do not know if that applies. thank you for looking help someone can shed light on this situation. The area is not large enough to be considered a dead end as well.

Welcome to the board. The concern is if someone is in the restroom when the last tenant closes and they could be trapped there. They could be stuck in there until the next morning when then tenant opens.

Welcome

Is this a brand new building or remodel??

Or remodel of both spaces or one as is this an existing condition

Yes have seen common area bathroom like yours

Never thought about that scenario?

My thought is someone from the business or related to the business, so I would feel there should not be that big of problem

I can understand and appreciate the concern. The lock-in could easily happen. Here's my suggestion (not a code fix, but a practical fix: install locks or a card reader or prox reader on the bathroom doors and the tenant doors.

A person needs a key to go in and use either bathroom. That same key will let them back (only) into the tenant space they came from. If that's considered "special knowledge or effort", then use a prox reader, or have the tenant locks interconnected to the fire alarm system.