• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet gab bars in nursing home

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
In fully accessible bath rooms in a nursing home they attached a folding grab bar onto the rear grab bar on the open side of the toilet. This makes the last foot of the rear grab bar unusable. I am failing this and requiring them to appeal to the state if they want this. They are already mounted in 100 bathrooms. This could hold them up for a C O. Any comments?

What is the code that applies?

The folding grab bars are acceptable under the FAIR HOUSING ACT DESIGN MANUAL

The Guidelines permit the installation of folding wall-mounted, floor-mounted or wall and floor-mounted grab bars where it is not possible to install “appropriate” wall-mounted ANSI, or similar, complying grab bars. This is particularly relevant when there is no wall or a very short wall adjacent to the toilet.

http://www.huduser.org/publications/pdf/fairhousing/fairch6.pdf

If it is the IBC 2009, ICC/ANSI A117.1, as listed in the other thread, you are right, a "Folding grab bar" is not listed in these publications. It is interesting that "They are already mounted in 100 bathrooms," What happened at plan check and the earlier installations....

2006 INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODE® COMMENTARY

The code is not intended to inhibit innovative ideas or technological advances. A comprehensive regulatory document, such as a building code, cannot envision and then address all future innovations in the industry. As a result, a performance code must be applicable to and provide a basis for the approval of an increasing number of newly developed, innovative materials, systems and methods for which no code text or referenced standards yet exist. The fact that a material, product or method of construction is not addressed in the code is not an indication that such material, product or method is intended to be prohibited. The building official is expected to apply sound technical judgement in accepting materials, systems or methods that, while not anticipated by the drafters of the current code text, can be demonstrated to offer equivalent performance.

By virtue of its text, the code regulates new and innovative construction practices while addressing the relative safety of building occupants. The building official is responsible for determining if a requested alternative provides the equivalent level of protection of public health, safety and welfare as required by the code.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in PA. 2009 IBC and ANSI 117.1. There was no detail in the plans that they where attached to the grab bars. The rear grab bar needs to be 36" but ends up with only 24" of graspable and useable space.

Paul Sweet said:
Can the folding grab bar be installed just below the 36" grab bar, so it doesn't interfere?
Paul

if the bar folds Up it will hit a "wall" bar above

C20071026172351501324_Folding_Grab_Bar.jpg

I've never seen a foldable grab bar that attaches to another grab bar. Can the foldable bar be removed at any time leaving the rear grab bar fully usable? If so, I don't really see the what the issue is. Shouldn't a facility be allowed to "customize" the installation to work better for the intended users (provided the original code legal set up is easily to revert to)?

I am not qualified to say what is better, I have no idea how these bars are used and how it was decided how this bars should be. Code does not say they can customize. It seems to me for a person that is use to using the rear grab bar it would be harder to use if 1/3 of the bar is unusable. This folding grab bar can't be moved, it's made to attach to another bar.

Rick - do you have a photo that you can post here of the actual installation? It's still hard to visualize.

Also, just curious - was this a premanufactured, standard configuratio? Or is this somehtign that was dreamed up in-field?