• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too cold for construction?

jpranch

Platinum Member
Dangerously Cold Wind Chill through Wednesday

Wind chill values will drop to -30 to -50 degrees across the Black Hills region Monday night through Tuesday morning, prompting a Wind Chill Warning in effect until Noon MST Tuesday. Cold Arctic air has pushed into the region, with temperatures falling through the day Monday, while winds were 20 to 30 mph and gusts reached 40 mph.

Air temperatures will drop to -10 to -30 degrees Monday night with 10 to 20 mph winds and 30 mph gusts producing the frigid wind chill readings. "At 40 below zero wind chill values, a person can get frostbite on exposed skin in less than 10 minutes, and that can be dangerous whenever you go outside," cautioned National Weather Service meteorologists. "Even if you're driving a short distance and don't intend to be outdoors; take warm clothes, boots, mittens, and hats. If your car breaks down or you're involved in an accident, you may have to wait longer than 10 minutes for assistance and you can be in real danger if you're not protected."

Daytime temperatures on Tuesday will reach 5 above to 10 below zero and wind chill values will range from -15 to -30 degrees. Lows will be even colder Tuesday night and Wednesday morning--ranging from -15 to -30 degrees. Lighter winds will result in wind chill values from -20 to -40 degrees.

Yeah, we're not much warmer than you JP, flippen cold.........

Jan 31 TonightBitterly cold. Snow showers. Low near -10F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Feb 1 TomorrowMostly cloudy with a few snow showers in the morning. Very cold. High 3F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

Feb 1 Tomorrow night

Mostly cloudy skies. Near record low temperatures. Low -16F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Feb 2 Wednesday

Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid teens and lows 1 to -3F.

windchill.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how fast beer freezes in this weather. I do always enjoy the pan of boiling water thing. Kids just gotta play!

-15 this morning. Heater core slushed up in the rig so no heat for the 30 minute drive in. Took about an hour for my feet to warm up. By noon it was a beautiful sunny day of about 15 above.

Yes I do love it here.

mt, I was thinking of you when starting this thread. My son-in-law is up in Minot on a natural gas pipeline crew. I don't know how he does it?

Blizzard forecast for Tuesday (tomorrow),

I fed the local ducks and geese in the park across the street a 50 lb bag of cracked corn; so they should be ok.

It's about time; I should finally get my snow (6" to 12"s). I got stew meat, taters, carrots, peas, green beans, and corn; for my big pot of stew tomorrow; and cornbread.

30 mph winds with 50 mph gusts.

Let her blow, :D

Uncle Bob

To cold for construction??

Heck glad my contract says I don't have to do inspections below "68 degrees F"

Well, the weather man is wrong again. Ya like that never happens. Just checked. -22 standing temp. The temp here never tanks until 4 to 7 am the next morning. 2 1/2 foot of wind driven snow on the dirt road leading in here. I have a 9 am meeting in the morning I can not miss. Or... perhaps I can??? Hole-ling-up and a good pot of mule deer chili ain't looking so bad.

UB, send me a recipe! Oh by the way. I need a recipe for mountain lion. Never had it and do not want to ruin it!

I believe I have a recipe for alley cat, should work just fine! Now if I can find it I will PM.

Temp: 22 @4:30am. Drive to work on ice covered roads. Freezing rain most of the day. Apprx 16" of snow on the ground and heavey rain called for tomorrow. Should make for some interesting flooding.

30s to low 40s today, 5 to 15 tonight, NNE winds 14 mph, gusts to 23 mph. Just another chilly day in the neighborhood.........

Sue, on the CA frontier

Alias said:
30s to low 40s today, 5 to 15 tonight, NNE winds 14 mph, gusts to 23 mph. Just another chilly day in the neighborhood.........Sue, on the CA frontier
i may have to wear my windbreaker on my walk today. high of only 50 expected and blue sky. i heard npr reporter from oklahoma say it was -20 this morning and snowing. you all stay warm and inside in the midwest!

Freezing rain! Roads and parking lots are like skating rinks! Supposed to warm!??? Ride to work was white knuckle! Walking to the building was an adventure! First call was to cancel and inspection! No fooling!

Hmmmm, not cool, or maybe I should say way cold. Hey, it's not suppose to get cold down here in Houston but we had overnight lows of 23 degrees and with wind chill (and it was windy) we are at 7 degrees. We are expecting freezing rain and snow on Thursday night/Friday morning, but by Sunday we are suppose to be back up to 70. This global warming is just a b*tch.

8" last night and 4-6" going now, think I'm going to request 4WD next budget since the Crown Vic was fish tailing all the way in. Reminded me of bumber skiing, thankfully traffic was light at 0600. Glad we didn't get what you guys out east did...be safe out there.