• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too cold for construction?

I just got back from a deck final. Its sunny and 10 degrees. I was out of the wind and it actually felt WARM! You know its been a long winter when the gloves come off when its above zero.

Joe

I was out this AM tagging a breaker box for power about 9:30 and the front of my legs were cold. Only 37 now, supposed to go down to 10 tonight. And this is CA...........:cowboy

Sue

Leaving tonight for ten days is Costa Rica....... 94 in the day and 70 at night.... shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops... neener,neener,neener. The fish are trembling and the surf is up!

And...no phone or computer!!

Too cool Beach. Was -25 here this morning while feeding. The best news is I got approved today to go to Phoenix in March!!! For those of you who have never wintered in Wyoming in March this is a way big deal. Just hope I can make it out?

Man it was cold today, only got to 68 degrees here in So CA

Untitled.jpg

I worked through one winter outside of Deadwood, South Dakota. We knew we were in trouble when we arrived about Thanksgiving wearing our entire wardrobe and the locals were still in shorts. About February I met a Canadian who came down to work through the winter in the "south". I was still freezing my southern tail off but it warmed me tremendously to realize there was a whole nuther country of lunatics north of me!

Thanks FM. I love good ribs!

DRP, Deadwood in winter is interesting to say the least. Last I heard they had a 3 to 4' base. Did you visit Wild Bill? Best place for a buffalo burger is "Big Al's". But tell them you want is done medium! If they cook it well it's like eating a old shoe. Oh and make sure you get onions & bacon on that burger. Have to have some red in buffalo!

JP, Yup I think we spent at least one evening in every place in Deadwood, good eats and cheap... not to mention WARM! We were camping in an RV on the jobsites. I like to try everything we can while somewhere new so got some muley, antelope... which was actually right good, I was suprised, had buffalo several times. Only had a close call with an elk. I had never heard one before. Early one morning I was in the little shack out back with my pants around my ankles when one snuck up right behind and bugled. I'd swear I heard him chuckling as he bolted away. It was one of those winters they had trouble disposing of the snow, I did soffits on the first house without a ladder. We went out to build 2 houses to dry in and ended up staying to do 7. Had a large meadow on Boxelder Creek surrounded by forest to ourselves through the spring and early summer, a mountaintop half section near Brownsville on another, did one up on Terry Peak. Enjoyed it and almost swapped land for labor with 2 of the folks, really liked it out there. Took in all the tourist stuff and were there long enough to wander around a good bit. Found out you can roll a dead RV all the way from Rushmore to Rapid :) As winter closed in the second time we were in Spearfish Canyon and happened to watch "The Last of The Mohicans" filmed in the Blue Ridge with some of our friends one night. That was it, the hills of home beckoned :D

Yikes said:
mark, we have no choice - we need it to stay warm in So Cal so we can keep working to pay all our taxes!
then why didn't Texas stay warm

www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-texas-budget-20110207,0,4154023.story

latimes.com

Texas' finances not as rosy as they seemed

The state prides itself as a model of conservative spending and responsible budgeting. But a new $27-billion budget gap undercuts its image as a business-seducing, fiscally adaptive state.