• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too Many Circuit Breakers

Re: Too Many Circuit Breakers

globe -

While I almost agree with the first part of brudgers last post, I must add that talking to the Elected Officials is less important than what those EOs responses are...

Sounds like their responses are political and not practical. Give me an EO with the intestinal fortitude to tell a constituant they are wrong/at fault/ in violation and I'll show you a candidate I could support for re-election... and I rarely vote for incumbants.

Cow-towing to a complianer who is in the wrong does a huge dis-service to not only the Code Official in the instant case, but more importantly to the rule of law. No Government, not even a true Democracy can stand while the foundation upon which it is built is eroded by bad policy and poor decision making. Giving in to womans' tearful plea is both!

I, for one, do not see this as having anything to do with the individuals gender, nor do I get the impression that you have been anything less than professional in your dealings with her. Merely giving us the backstory by pointing out how she uses her gender to get elected officials to do her bidding says more about her and the EOs than it does you.

It almost looks like it has two, 100 amp breakers serving as the mains...is this a duplex? On the right side of the panel where the 100 amp breaker is, it says "Up"...does that mean upstairs? Or, was it a duplex and converted to SFD?

beach,

It was and still is a SFD ( 2 story ). They have recently completed a "finish out" of a space on the 2nd story in to a small room that is being used as an exercise room. They put a 42 breaker sized electrical panel in this room to replace a smaller sized panel that was existing in the space prior to be "finished out".

Yes, the 100 amp. mains with the term "Up" listed by them is indeed for the upstairs rooms.

It appears to me that the exterior electrical panel has had some un-permitted work added on to it, without any inspections being requested.

I am unable to request anything further on the project. If it shorts out, arcs a fire or anything else, the AHJ is out of the picture. We have put this horsie to bed already. If or when some type of event happens, it will be on the homeowner.