• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Total SF placed in drawings

MPaulino

Hi,
I work for DoD Sheppard Air Force in Texas reviewing projects from Contractors.
I asked Contractors to place the total SF in rooms to be replaced (Damaged carpet for example), Contractors do not concur our comments.
We use UFC 3-101-01 code change 1,5 January 2021 , this code is for new projects, here we do not develop news project, only USACE developed.
UFC page 3 . 1-5 OVERVIEW OF THIS UFC. There are a description to IBC. Chapter 2 provides suplementa requirements for appliying the 2018 IBC architectural provisions to conventional DoD building design by required modifications to specific 2018 IBC.
We was looking but we can't find something about placing a total SF in plans for bidding process.
We will appreciate if someone help us.
Thanks
Marcia Paulino

Welcome

Shouldn’t that be known up front, before the process starts?

Yes I agree, but seems like if this is for bidding, every contractor would have to visit the base??

May not be in the scope of IBC?

IBC 2018, Section 107.2.1 Information on construction documents: Shall be dimensioned and drawn on suitable material.

If the length and width are there, I'm good but the square footage is definitely helpful.

Marcia,
I do a lot of work with DoD, although not with the Air Force, and also use the UFCs. The only time I would put the square footages of individual rooms on drawings would be if I needed to show that the room size met some sort of planning criteria, or if I was doing an occupant load calculation. I'm not aware of any UFC requirement to put room square footages on general construction plans.

I think you'll find that architects and engineers will resist doing that because the bidders should be able to figure out the carpet area on their own using the other dimensions on the drawings, so the architect or engineer views it as un-necessary and also with some liability if they somehow get it wrong. On the other hand, there does need to be some way for bidders to figure out the quantity of carpet, for example. So if the A-E is not providing some dimensions you could insist on that. Normally, I would label any dimensions for existing elements as plus/minus, which should be ok.

Maybe not inside the room on the floor plan, but why not a table with sizes. Just another column in the table that lists finishes, door hardware, etc. Having the sizes pre-established would be useful for determining partial invoices.

Since it is a DOD project there is no building code law. Rather the military creates a contractual obligation to comply with the model codes.

There is no need to show square footage of individual rooms on the constructions. The dimensioned drawings should allow the contractor to determine what he needs to provide.

If there is a need to show compliance with some code provision that information could be provided as a supplementary document such as calculations.

Hi,
I work for DoD Sheppard Air Force in Texas reviewing projects from Contractors.
I asked Contractors to place the total SF in rooms to be replaced (Damaged carpet for example), Contractors do not concur our comments.
We use UFC 3-101-01 code change 1,5 January 2021 , this code is for new projects, here we do not develop news project, only USACE developed.
UFC page 3 . 1-5 OVERVIEW OF THIS UFC. There are a description to IBC. Chapter 2 provides suplementa requirements for appliying the 2018 IBC architectural provisions to conventional DoD building design by required modifications to specific 2018 IBC.
We was looking but we can't find something about placing a total SF in plans for bidding process.
We will appreciate if someone help us.
Thanks
Marcia Paulino
Hi Marcia,
UFC 3-101-01c1 Section 4-2 states that net and gross areas are to be included in the Design Analysis document. In my past experience, we have only had to show the net areas on the rooms when a USACE district or NAVFAC of has a Design Instruction Manual that requires the net areas on the construction drawings. I am not sure either of these apply specifically to your Air Force projects.

If you have the architect show the square footage of rooms on the construction documents and they are wrong the cost of the fix is on you.

In my experience the contractors are perfectly capable of calculating the sizes of the rooms. What about those other buildings where square footage was not shown? How did they get built?

Contract issue, methods and means are the contractors to determine as are the quantities required to meet the DWG's and specs.

Carpet comes in different width rolls, typically 12 or 15 feet. The contractor will probably have to buy more carpet than the square footage of the room, and will probably demand a change order for this extra unusable carpet.

Nah, it also comes as tiles too, up to installer to determine direction to lay roles and seams unless directed to supply a seaming plan.

I though estimators were smarter than that.

Leave the estimating to the contractor. This is not a concern of the building department.