• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trailers in s-2

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
2009 IBC S-2 2B existing warehouse. Owner wants to build a indoor loading area that trucks will be pulling in to park and to load and unload. IBC 903.2.10.1 says fire sprinklers needed for storage of commercial trucks. Owner said trucks won't be stored there, only the trailers. The trucks will pull the trailers in and then leave the trailer there. Isn't the trailer part of the truck. I can't tell without a definition.

Last year I had the same thing with fire trucks. I told the fire co. that fire trucks are commercial trucks. Since there is no definition I went through hell going back and forth with this. The state does desanate anything commercial, except for driver license for different classes. I almost gave up when I saw Webster's definition of Commercial "1. relating to, or engaged in commerce. 2. Designed for profit. 3. an advertisement.". Later L & I told me fire trucks are commercial trucks.

If at least I knew why this section was made I would have some idea which way to go. I don't understand why a commercial truck which might be diesel would be more dangerous than a gas pick-up truck.

Can someone help me with this?

Re: Trailers in s-2

1. how many sq ft??

2. what will be in the trailers???

I find very few true S-2 uses. Ifyou can not verify the material at a minimum it must be S-2.

I think that if only the trailers are stored there, I would be willing to go along with the owner's contention that commercial trucks are not stored there. The tractor is the part with the fuel, batteries, electrical wiring, etc. The trailer when disconnected from the tractor doesn't have those things. However, the trailer does have rubber tires. I'm not so sure this is an S-2 with those in there. I think it might be an S-1.

S-1.............. If they want to classify it as S-2, then sprinkler requirements kick in - It is a game.

IMHO, a trailer is a S-1 the majority of the time. Very few times(can you say zero) in tractor-trailer fires has the trailer not had combustibles in it - whether pallets, packaged materials, etc.

40000 and not sprinkled???

and the only thing that will kick in sprinklers is if it considered commerical trucks???

My vote is if the truck is not there and trailer only, then it is not a commercial truck storage.

can you hit them on storage above 12 feet??? since the trailers are above 12 feet???

treat it like a moving container business???

is this a left over from one of the other codes????

What is a commercial truck?
If the driver has to have a CDL to operate it on the highways it is a commercial vehicle.

If it is subject to DOT inspections it is a commercial vehicle. Trailers are.

Get a list of the "Food Products" being distributed and verify it is an S-2 and not an S-1.

From personal experience unless the truck and trailer are owned by the same people that own the warehouse they will always be connected when being loaded and unloaded. It is an existing operation ask for a tour of the warehouse so you can get an accurate picture and make a reasonable decision.

S-1 and sprinklers here. If they are hauling foods and store type merchandise, it's not an S-2

S-? existing building, no sprinklers, no change of use, built before state had codes. Ware house was used for the same thing for 50 years I was told. IBC 903.2.10.1 (sprinklers if commercial trucks & buses stored) is only under S-2, so I guess if the building is S-1 it won't need sprinklers. Don't know when you need a CDL. They said they use these little trailer movers to move them around. Food Products is under S-2. Don't get paid to go to job site without permit (third-party inspection co.) Seems like some of you think a trailer is a commercial truck and some don't. maybe we need a vote. Does anyone have any idea why the ICC thinks a commercial truck is more dangerous than a non-commercial truck? If I knew that It might help me understand this.

Sounds like a S-2 parking garage until they talk about loading and unloading. I agree with Lou Marks, very few true S-2 occupancies.

storage over 12 feet, change of hazard??? high piled stock???

Foods in non-combustible containers is S-2. Very food foods that are shipped to the store would qualify. Beside that they are typically shipped in secondary cardboard containers and on wood or plastic pallets.

This building is existing for 50 years without sprinklers with no change in use. It seems like most of you think it should be S-1. If it is S-1 then I don't need to worry about sprinklers if they use commercial trucks because the requirement for sprinklers (903.2.10.1) is only for S-2. I don't understand this at all. Why is it less dangerous for trucks to be parked in S-1 rather than S-2?

A warehouse is not the same as a parking garage. If he is going to store trucks in the warehouse it becomes an S-2 parking garage. If you are the AHJ you can choose to ignore that and let him do it.

so why can't it be treated like a moving company storage facility, and since the trucks and possibly what is in them call it high piled stock,

automatic sprinkler system kicks in??????????????

Never been in the building. If they already had high piled stock without sprinklers it won't be a change of use.

I think I cannot enforce sprinklers for commercial trucks without a clear definition of commercial trucks.

If the trucks park outside, it's still just a warehouse. Like it always has been.

Nothing today is more hazardous than it was 2 years ago... (probably more hazardous than when the building was built), but if no change or occupancy or use.. it's just a warehouse.