• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Transition between new accessible parking space and existing adjacent parking stall

jpg7878

Is there any requirement in building code or ADA guidelines that governs the transition between an accessible parking space and the spot next to it or the aisle behind it? I have an existing parking lot along the front of a strip mall. The owner wanted to add an additional ADA parking stall and access aisle at one location. So, two existing spaces were demolished, and a new ADA stall was poured in concrete. An additional 24" was removed beyond the parking stall and access aisle to allow for transition to the existing grades around the space. The ADA space, aisle and new curb ramp are all compliant, however the 24" transition area slopes to the adjacent grade along the sides of the space range from 2% at the front of the space near the building to 25% at the back corners of the parking space. Is there something that would govern what the max slope would be in the non-ADA spaces? Maybe local zoning code, though I didn't see anything in there? Thanks for your help.

It only represents a potential trip hazard for someone exiting the adjacant vehicle. I see this often when existing noncompliant spaces are altered to be accessible.

Is there any requirement in building code or ADA guidelines that governs the transition between an accessible parking space and the spot next to it or the aisle behind it? I have an existing parking lot along the front of a strip mall. The owner wanted to add an additional ADA parking stall and access aisle at one location. So, two existing spaces were demolished, and a new ADA stall was poured in concrete. An additional 24" was removed beyond the parking stall and access aisle to allow for transition to the existing grades around the space. The ADA space, aisle and new curb ramp are all compliant, however the 24" transition area slopes to the adjacent grade along the sides of the space range from 2% at the front of the space near the building to 25% at the back corners of the parking space. Is there something that would govern what the max slope would be in the non-ADA spaces? Maybe local zoning code, though I didn't see anything in there? Thanks for your help.
To reduce the effects of existing grades around ADA parking areas, installing narrow planters the full length of the new parking area provides a neat grade break and reduces the possible negative affect on the cars bottoming out trying to get over the 25% hump or blockage of rear lift wheelchair vans. Adding speed humps (the larger ones not high or pointy ones, just wider and gentler) helps ease the access to the transitioned parking area and also slows everything down.

To reduce the effects of existing grades around ADA parking areas, installing narrow planters the full length of the new parking area provides a neat grade break and reduces the possible negative affect on the cars bottoming out trying to get over the 25% hump or blockage of rear lift wheelchair vans. Adding speed humps (the larger ones not high or pointy ones, just wider and gentler) helps ease the access to the transitioned parking area and also slows everything down.
The hump he was referring to was not in the traffic path but rather it was just on the side of the parking space. Granted, planters could be put there but all they would do is remove available area from the parking spaces. Cars shouldn't be driving over this hump.