• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tray Ceiling in Master BR

Capo

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is a structural or aesthetic question, but in my new construction I noticed the builder framed my master bedroom tray ceiling square except for one corner that comes up to the bathroom door.

Because that short wall is angled and is the door to the bathroom, the builder is saying the plans call for that corner of the trey ceiling to have angle as if you were forming an octogon.

Is this normal? I'm afraid this is going to look very odd/ugly and I'm having a hard time finding pics online. It seems like the tray should be square in all corners or an octogon pattern in all corners.

Let me know if I'm off base or if this is indeed weird and not standard.

Did you see the plans before they built the house??

To me this is a discussion with the person that drew the plans.

If you don’t like it, tell the to change it, you might have to have your check book in hand.

Sounds like a do I like the design or not question.

I will try to get a link up. I tried to attach but it wouldn't let me.

Am I interpreting your comments correctly that there is nothing structural with a door s few feet away that would mandate it structurally? It's just aestically?

Likely is not structural. Trays usually follow the perimeters of the walls, but on occasion have other shapes. Review the plans to see what they actually call for.

Ask the builder if they have a local home completed that provides the same effect, ask for pic or to go look at it.

If it is structural it was likely picked up on plan review and or frame inspection.

Sounds like our master bedroom in the house we just had built in Myrtle Beach. The tray ceiling follows the overall shape of your room and in our case the master bathroom wall is at an angle to the other three corners of our bedroom and the tray ceiling follows this. It looks fine and trust me it won't stand out in fact we think it looks great. And no there are no structural implications. This should be reflected on your plans as well incidentally.

Neo-angle on the ceiling around the perimeter and square on the interior is normal around here. The interior square part of the tray is usually done with double 2x10's and double joist hangers with ends resting on the top plates. The top plates usually have double studs below the double 2x10's to transfer the weight down to the bottom plate. Below the bottom plate additional blocking may be present and in some cases a steel I-beam catches the load on the interior part and the outside wall catches the load on the other end. Seems to work okay, I would not want a neo-angle middle part, that would look odd IMO.