• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trees

"Ban all trees."

Get over yourself! Try some reality! If you are perceptive enough you'll find it's right there in front of you and is filled with uncertainty.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Dessert tonight was peach sorbet, hard to beat. I doubt the trees are 20' tall and were loaded. The other end of the spectrum, I went home with our mason yesterday evening, we went down to the spring for a drink just before dark. A beautiful cathedral of tall poplars, for those out west they are the biggest remaining eastern trees now that the chestnuts are gone. Trees are a broad subject.

Code Neophyte said:
Ban all trees. Someone like me - governmental employee making below the median income for the area - thinks it's cute to plant a cheap maple tree in the yard because it provides good shade. But fast forward 20 years, and I'm still a stupid government schmuck and now the tree's 80 feet tall and has ruined my roof and my neighbor's roof, and I can't afford the $3,500 to have it cut down. Wind storm hits and limbs fall through my roof and the neighbor's roof. Really smart. Bottom line: Trees belong in the woods - not in a 10,000 s.f. yard.
If a tree falls on a "stupid government schmuck" and nobody cares, did it really happen?

"Ban all Trees."

"What about the leaves they leave behind!"

"It's like following your dog around with a bag!"

"Don't forget about the nuts they leave behind!

Brings out the bushy tailed varmits too!

Trees, you gotta love um!

pc1

"If a tree falls on a "stupid government schmuck" and nobody cares, did it really happen?"

Was that really necessary? Was it even close to OT? Did it add anything, other than your personal amusement? I know this topic has been all over, but really.....sometimes you are such an *** Try thinking for a few minutes before hitting the post button

fatboy said:
"If a tree falls on a "stupid government schmuck" and nobody cares, did it really happen?" Was that really necessary? Was it even close to OT? Did it add anything, other than your personal amusement? I know this topic has been all over, but really.....sometimes you are such an a$$ Try thinking for a few minutes before hitting the post button
If the reference to "a modest proposal" by the OP goes whooshing over a board member's head, does that make their sanctimonious meta comments less irrelevant?

Frank said:
Falling trees typically kill one or two firefighters per year
Most firefighters are killed by heart attacks. Which brings to mind the irony that experts recommend you consult your doctor before exercising but not before going to the Endless Dinner Buffet at Golden Corral.

The irony in that is if I have the big one at the building inspections office it is not work related, if I have it while watching tv at the firestation it is a line of duty death. A couple years back a ff line of duty death included a guy that got run over by a semi as he crossed the road from the bar to the hotel while at a conference. the latest NFPA list includes a self inflicted gunshot wound.

fatboy said:
"If a tree falls on a "stupid government schmuck" and nobody cares, did it really happen?"Was that really necessary? Was it even close to OT? Did it add anything, other than your personal amusement? I know this topic has been all over, but really.....sometimes you are such an a$$ Try thinking for a few minutes before hitting the post button
In Brugers defense, he didn't label the poster as a "stupid government schmuck", he just expanded on a self assigned label by neophite.

"In Brugers defense, he didn't label the poster as a "stupid government schmuck", he just expanded on a self assigned label by neophite.

Don't defend him, he's an ####, we all know it, the reply was not needed. He could reply to any subject without all the insulting and derogitory comments liike most of us do, he chooses not not. I tire of his crap, and again am thinking that his knowledge of the code is not worth putting up with the baggage.

In fatboy's defense, he neglected to read Neophite's post, before tall dogging brudgers.

Back to the topic. My jurisdiction is right across the river from Frank's and we have suffered some major damage as well. It is staggering to see the number of HUGE trees that missed houses by inches. We have posted many houses as unsafe due to tree damage and we have millions of dollars in damage. Several houses have burned down when the power was turned back on. People left appliances on by mistake. I am also amazed at the hundreds of houses with large oaks on the roof that did little or no damage. Blind luck in most cases. Common sense tells you to keep the large trees away from the house but a code change is certainly not necessary.

hogwash...... Like I said in another post, IRC will require sprinklers in dog houses the way their heading.

BS

fatboy said:
I read neophites post...........the response was not needed.
I haven't seen many that were....needed. For myself, I am stupefied that anyone would find the post so offensive. My sensibility must be hardened around the edges. That's not to say that I found no offense. There was that feeling of ouch associated with a tree falling on a person, but then I have experience with chain saws.

The more obvious offense is "and nobody cares". About the worst you can call that, is crass. To jump down six notches and call him an "A$$, and we all know it".... to tell us that you are tired of his crap and wondering if he's worth the trouble just doesn't do the collective reality justice.

A few of you here that are vociferous about a brudgers faux pas stain the fabric of the forum and one gets the feeling you are looking up, not down.

Tiger

And I am unofficially withdrawing my comments...........I would delete them, but that would detract from the thread. My apologies for my personal reaction to the posts.

I'm not offended by Brudger's reply - it's exactly what I would have anticipated from him. I don't know about the rest of you, but I get that attitude daily from the public, despite my best efforts to project a non-bureaucratic attitude. There's a certain resentment regarding governmental employees, and that will always be the case.

I'll be the first to say that my reply to this thread was a bit "knee jerk" in nature, but I'll explain why in the next paragraph. But while we're reacting to the tone of replies: I'm more troubled by KZQuixote/Bill's reply, telling me to "get over" myself, and to "try reality". That seemed a bit over the top and unprovoked, in my view. But, if the participants of this forum begin to concur with Bill's opinion of my contributions, I can easily stop participating or even checking in.

Now, Bill - and others - here's why I said what I said. Our community was struck with a windstorm in late June, which packed 80+mph winds and downed hundreds - if not thousands - of trees. A state of emergency was declared, and I spent several weeks doing damage assessments and supervising clean up. Fortunately, no lives were lost, but our town was a designated "Tree City USA", and it always seemed very imprudent to me to have 150-year-old hardwood trees, reaching dozens of feet into the air and measuring 6-feet-plus in diameter, to be planted within 8 or 10 feet of a house framed of lightweight construction. This storm proved me correct, in literally decimating dozens of homes in the community. And this was not even a tornado.

I stand by my apparently divisive and controversial earlier post, and say that trees should not be planted within their "fall zone" away from any structure within a town or city. Aside from the storm this Summer, which did untold hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars worth of damage, I also deal with property maintenance/code enforcement. There isn't a day that goes by that a citizen doesn't call to complain about a neighbor's tree that has limbs hanging over their property and are calling to ask me what we are going to do about it.

I love trees and shade as much as the next guy, but they have their place - and it's not in a 80X100 lawn.

fatboy said:
"In Brugers defense, he didn't label the poster as a "stupid government schmuck", he just expanded on a self assigned label by neophite. Don't defend him, he's an a$$, we all know it, the reply was not needed. He could reply to any subject without all the insulting and derogitory comments liike most of us do, he chooses not not. I tire of his crap, and again am thinking that his knowledge of the code is not worth putting up with the baggage.
If a poster misses a reference to Hume's idealism in a comment regarding a Swiftian proposal, does that mean he is out of his league?

brudgers said:
If a poster misses a reference to Hume's idealism in a comment regarding a Swiftian proposal, does that mean he is out of his league?
Well doggone, if that ain't puttin' lipstick on a pig, I reckon I don't know pigs like I thunk.

And splain this will ya, if I don't git it, I cain't go bowling on Saturday night no more? Is that what I'm a hear'n? 'Cause hey, me'n my buds are gittin a trophy this year and a free trip to Dollywood. Cain't git 'nough a Dolly and the twins. :devil

OK, here goes nothin. Let's see iffin I git it. Yessiree! Shirley this is my final answer:

The scatological Hume could have qualified to be a patient at St. Patrick’s Hospital for Imbeciles.

Maybe I ain't ready for Jeopardy but Hot Dang! I'm still in the league. I better quit savin beer tokens though, 'cause, well, ya never know when.... At least I hope it don't happen 'til I git new balls. The old ones don't seem to be a hangin right. What with me be'n a lefty and all, that's a big deal.

Speaking of balls..... here's a different set. http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?5604-Unusual-things-I-ve-noticed-about-the-IRC

Tiger

ICE said:
Well doggone, if that ain't puttin' lipstick on a pig, I reckon I don't know pigs like I thunk I did. And splain this will ya, if I don't git it, I cain't go bowling on Saturday night no more? Is that what I'm a hear'n? 'Cause hey, me'n my buds are gittin a trophy this year and a free trip to Dollywood. Cain't git 'nough a Dolly and the twins. :devil OK, here goes nothin. Let's see iffin I git it. Yessiree! Shirley this is my final answer: The scatological Hume could have qualified to be a patient at St. Patrick’s Hospital for Imbeciles. Maybe I ain't ready for Jeopardy but Hot Dang! I'm still in the league. I better quit savin beer tokens though, 'cause, well, ya never know when.... At least I hope it don't happen 'til I git new balls. The old ones don't seem to be a hangin right. What with me be'n a lefty and all, that's a big deal. Speaking of balls..... here's a different set. http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?5604-Unusual-things-I-ve-noticed-about-the-IRC Tiger
Bowling on Saturday night? When you go mudboggin?