• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brant Blower

We went in for permit in a WUI zone with a heavy timber, redwood trellis for a residential project. We received a plan check comment asking us to show that it met the requirements of R337.10.3.2. The key words in that section is that the trellis needs to be non-combustible or ignition resistant. We have never run into any issues in the past as long as the exposed lumber qualified as heavy timber. Does anyone know of an official link that can be cited that indicates that heavy timber can be interchangeable with ignition resistant?

Thanks!

Brant

RB]NONCOMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL. Materials that pass the test procedure for defining noncombustibility of elementary materials set forth in ASTM E 136. ?????

More information is necessary.
1) What year of this code is adopted?
2) Have you checked their amendments?
3) How close to the dwelling is the trellis? Is it attached?
4) How large is it?

I don't understand the section numbers you provided, so I am inclined to believe they are local amended/adopted numbers. You can view the 2018 IWUIC at this link: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IWUIC2018/chapter-5-special-building-construction-regulations

Section 501.1 may exempt it from all requirements depending on size and location.
Section 504.7 This appears to be what your building department is referencing (or something equivalent). This clearly references heavy timber as acceptable.

Hi Glenn-
Sorry for the late reply.

1) 2016 California Residential Code (Sorry I should have specified state).
2) Have not seen any local/Napa amendments related to trellises, or defining Heavy Timber as ignition resistant or non-combustible.
3) The proposed trellis will be attached to the building.
4) It will cover about 450 s.f. of deck.

Hmmm . . . If our plan checker will let us cite the IBC as a supplement to the Ca. Res. Code then your Section 504.7 may be our ticket. Thanks!

Hi Glenn-
Sorry for the late reply.

1) 2016 California Residential Code (Sorry I should have specified state).
2) Have not seen any local/Napa amendments related to trellises, or defining Heavy Timber as ignition resistant or non-combustible.
3) The proposed trellis will be attached to the building.
4) It will cover about 450 s.f. of deck.

Hmmm . . . If our plan checker will let us cite the IBC (OOPS, I MEANT THE INTERNATIONAL WUI CODE) as a supplement to the Ca. Res. Code then your Section 504.7 may be our ticket. Thanks!