• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Turning space at the end of a corridor.

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a corridor with a restroom at the end. It is a straight shot to the push door. Closer isn't provided so 0" side clearance. The corridor is 3'8" wide. If someone in a W/C or on crutches goes down the corridor to find the restroom is occupied they may not be able to turn around, or if a person exits the room while the next user is at the door or in the corridor it could be a problem. I don't see anything that specifically requires a passing or turning space for this condition. Am I missing something?

Yes! no closer and with a privacy latch does not waive manuvering clearance requirement at a door to a single occupant RR

Yes! no closer and with a privacy latch does not waive manuvering clearance requirement at a door to a single occupant RR
Are you sure? I thought it was 0" for an approach to a push door unless a latch and a closer are provided. (ANSI 117.1 t404.2.3.2)

that is correct. 0" strike side clearance on push side if no latch and closer together. if both then 12". if just one or the other then 0"

he indicates the door has a privacy lock on it which is not allowed if no clearance provided.

can't push it if it is privacy locked, can you?
The concept is "no" resistance to pushing.

If someone pushes on it and it doesn't budge, then the restroom is occupied and they shouldn't go in.

When the restroom is unoccupied the only resistance to pushing is friction in the hinges. They're not fighting a closer, so no additional clearance is required.

ADASAD 403.5.3 "An accessible route with a clear width less than 60 inches (1525 mm)
shall provide passing spaces at intervals of 200 feet."
You would have to back up if the corridor is less than 200 ft. long.

I agree that a turnaround should be provided once the corridor exceeds a certain length, 20 ft. would be more reasonable than 200 ft., but I don't see where the code requires it.

Agree, bad practice but not codified as far as I can tell. May not matter, the other comments will probably require a reconfiguration of the space unless they plead their case via an alt. methods application!

I agree that no turnaround is required by code. Whether it is bad practice or not is irrelevant to the question of minimum code requirements, which was the original question in post #1.