• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

two hour fire rating between containers

John Mullen

We are working on a project using shipping containers to provide housing for the homeless.
We need a 2 hour fire rating between adjacent containers that have no sidewall openings.
Container walls are welded 1.6 mm 16 gauge corrugated corten steel. The interior of each container can have type X gypsum board on furring with batt insulation. Any suggestions will be appreciated. THX

Welcome

If the moderators would move this to commercial building code section

Sounds like he need an exterior treatment/ solution
, each
2 hour fire rating between more than two living units is required by code. The plan is two 40 containers each divided into two studio living units backed up to each other. We don't need a 2 hour rated wall between the two units inside a single container, but it is required between the two containers side by side.

, each
2 hour fire rating between more than two living units is required by code. The plan is two 40 containers each divided into two studio living units backed up to each other. We don't need a 2 hour rated wall between the two units inside a single container, but it is required between the two containers side by side.

Code section reference please

John,

Unfortunately you are trying to mix and match two codes for your use - In my last commnity, a designer/contractor had to choose one or the other code to construct by to ensure code compliance was met without any legal or gray areas.

IRC is for detached one and two family dwellings and townhouses. i.e duplex stand alone for example

The IBC allows fire walls to be used to create separate structures but still requires a minimum of 1/3 hour separation for dwelling units (based upon as fire sprinkler system being installed.

The Scenario presented is not code compliant for the IRC - (see scope of IRC) Nor is is code compliant for the IBC.......... So which code are you using?

Reactions: JBI
BB, I think you meant "1/2 hour separation." Also, that only applies to Types IIB, IIIB, and VB construction when sprinklered per NFPA 13.

i am assuming that since the idea of tiny houses and shipping containers is so new that there has been no fire ressistive , E119 testing on any thing that resembles a shipping container. Since i can not think of any professional organization of container manufacturer who is likely to foot the bill for the research and the testing, this problem will not likely go away anytime soon.

If it were me i would look at other parts of the world were there is a little more history with these types of structures, see if they are built to a code, and then compare said code with our ibc. Kind of an alternative measures type approach but you would still have to demonstrate equivalent fire protection.

Chapter seven IBC built your own?

What rating does Chapter seven give metal?

The metal probably has a zero fire rating. It conducts heat so well that the cotton rags next to it in the test will catch fire almost immediately.