• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Two-story metal building interior wood

ihavefaith

Hello, new to the forum, had a couple questions, would really appreciate any help.

We are going to build a new two story building in front of our current wood single story typical wood construction building. It will be separated slightly and filled in to appear as one construction. It is going to be a pre-engineered structural frame, with exterior metal stud with sheathing and stucco, and interior bearing wood framing with gypsum x type, wood floor trusses for second story floor supported by the interior wood. Second story will be only for storage.

1. This is VA type construction if fire rated walls and ceilings are used?
2. Does second story need to have two exits if it is only used for storage? 1000 square feet storage.
3. Classification is Business even with the storage being that size, bottom floor is a lobby.

Thank you!

Hello, new to the forum, had a couple questions, would really appreciate any help.

We are going to build a new two story building in front of our current wood single story typical wood construction building. It will be separated slightly and filled in to appear as one construction. It is going to be a pre-engineered structural frame, with exterior metal stud with sheathing and stucco, and interior bearing wood framing with gypsum x type, wood floor trusses for second story floor supported by the interior wood. Second story will be only for storage.

1. This is VA type construction if fire rated walls and ceilings are used?
2. Does second story need to have two exits if it is only used for storage? 1000 square feet storage.
3. Classification is Business even with the storage being that size, bottom floor is a lobby.

Thank you!
1. If the existing building is Type VB construction, then the addition must also be Type VB construction unless you use a fire wall to separate the two.
2. It depends. If the common path of egress travel is greater than 75 feet, then you will need two means of egress. If the stairway is enclosed complying with the requirements for exit stairs, then you are probably okay, depending on the shape of the room and the location of the stair. If the stairway is not enclosed, then the 75-foot distance must include the distance down the stairs and to a point where the occupant has two distinct paths to two separate exits.
3. If the storage is incidental to the business (i.e., used to store supplies for the business and records), then it could be classified as Group B. However, if it is used for warehousing/storing products shipped by the business, then it is a Group S.

1. VB because the existing building that you are adding the addition is all wood.
2. no
3. depends on the size of B
Thanks Rick! yes the size is about 1000 sf both floors.
1. If the existing building is Type VB construction, then the addition must also be Type VB construction unless you use a fire wall to separate the two.
2. It depends. If the common path of egress travel is greater than 75 feet, then you will need two means of egress. If the stairway is enclosed complying with the requirements for exit stairs, then you are probably okay, depending on the shape of the room and the location of the stair. If the stairway is not enclosed, then the 75-foot distance must include the distance down the stairs and to a point where the occupant has two distinct paths to two separate exits.
3. If the storage is incidental to the business (i.e., used to store supplies for the business and records), then it could be classified as Group B. However, if it is used for warehousing/storing products shipped by the business, then it is a Group S.
Thanks RLGA, yes will just be a couple things stored in there for the business, with a small bathroom. Now I got something to look into.

Bathroom can't be too small, needs to be accessible but the 2nd floor will not require an accessible route.
Yes, following the IBC and IPC 2018, so 60 and 56 inch clearance on toilet and 15 inch clear space from middle of sink to wall.

I am having trouble understanding the maximum common path of egress travel for

"TABLE 1006.3.3(2)"
"Second story above grade plane B,F,M,S MAX OL 29 , MAX COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL 75."

I am sorry if this has been asked numerous times, but I looked and can't find a clear answer for myself. Where is the maximum common path of travel for a single exit from second floor? Is is at the bottom of the stairs?

I would think it would be at equal points of two separate exit choices according to the pictures and definition, but if we have an exit right next to stairs, not sure how that works.

I am having trouble understanding the maximum common path of egress travel for

"TABLE 1006.3.3(2)"
"Second story above grade plane B,F,M,S MAX OL 29 , MAX COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL 75."

I am sorry if this has been asked numerous times, but I looked and can't find a clear answer for myself. Where is the maximum common path of travel for a single exit from second floor? Is is at the bottom of the stairs?

I would think it would be at equal points of two separate exit choices according to the pictures and definition, but if we have an exit right next to stairs, not sure how that works.
If the stairs are enclosed in a rated enclosure, then the measurement of the common path of egress travel (CPET) stops at the door to the stairs. If the stairs are not enclosed, it is an exit access stairway, and the measurement of the CPET includes the distance down the stairs. However, if at the bottom of the stairs an occupant still does not have access to two distinct paths to two separate exits, then the measurement continues until two paths are available or an exit has been reached.

So that exit down there would be the common path of travel correct?
Yes, however, the measurement down the stairs is parallel to the nosings and not the distance measured on the floor plan. So the distance down the stairs will be about 18% longer than the plan length if using a typical 11-inch tread and 7-inch riser dimensions.

Yes, however, the measurement down the stairs is parallel to the nosings and not the distance measured on the floor plan. So the distance down the stairs will be about 18% longer than the plan length if using a typical 11-inch tread and 7-inch riser dimensions.
Thanks RLGA! Not sure why I am left with more questions than answers after reading the code lol

keep in mind that if this second floor storage space is going to have storage shelving, you should show those shelving units on the plan and recalculate your common path or travel traversing thru and around the shelving isles.

keep in mind that if this second floor storage space is going to have storage shelving, you should show those shelving units on the plan and recalculate your common path or travel traversing thru and around the shelving isles.
Good idea, I got about 63 feet total

If I face the stairs toward the bathroom, it will work with out the enclosure. But there is a steel column with there.