• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type 1 hood clearances

rgrace said:
~sigh~ one of the problems with text discussions is that often times one does not recieve what is being transmitted ~sigh~
Yes, even with face to face discussions this happens.

Additional comment where NFPA 96 has been recently referenced ... Unfortunately, NFPA 96 is not referenced in the 2009 IMC
True but it is usually listed as part of the manufacturers installation instructions.

I have fought the "it meets NFPA 96" many times over the years and the only time I allow an installer to go there is if it is part of the installation instructions

It works both ways because in my area everybody wants to put a wood stove in a garage. However the manufactures installation says to follow NFPA 211. Section 12.2.4 says Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

The listed hoods I have seen have a 3" spacer built on the hood at the top and at the back. The spacer and the insulation are included in the hood package. In the past, at least 10 years ago, the 3" spacer was installed on the wall or the hood by the installer. I also supplied the insulation. Now the spacer is built at the factory, and hood mfr supplies the insulation.

Go here for a picture of a hood with spacer built-in to the hood. ND-2 Series Hood