• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type I hood used as a Type II

Is there an argument here for a Type II hood? Perhaps. Have you ever been inside one of those restaurants that uses panini grills to toast sandwiches, and looked at the ceiling above the panini grills where no hood was installed above these cooking appliances? The ceiling was layered in a dark film. Can't say how long it took to get that way, but I can say that I have pictures of one such restaurant, but finding them would be a real chore :) IMO, there is no such thing as a "lighter duty Type 1 vent hood" (okay, steveray's UL 710B version could be considered somewhat lighter duty, but still requires all the bells and whistles, and is limited to the cooking appliance within its listing). UL 710B versions still have grease filters and fire suppression.

This is the exception I was speaking of:

507.2 Type I hoods. Type I hoods shall be installed where
cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of
the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over
medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking
appliances.
Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an
electric cooking appliance where an approved testing
agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent
contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an
exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance
with UL 710B.

Is there an argument here for a Type II hood? Perhaps. Have you ever been inside one of those restaurants that uses panini grills to toast sandwiches, and looked at the ceiling above the panini grills where no hood was installed above these cooking appliances? The ceiling was layered in a dark film. Can't say how long it took to get that way, but I can say that I have pictures of one such restaurant, but finding them would be a real chore :) IMO, there is no such thing as a "lighter duty Type 1 vent hood" (okay, steveray's UL 710B version could be considered somewhat lighter duty, but still requires all the bells and whistles, and is limited to the cooking appliance within its listing). UL 710B versions still have grease filters and fire suppression.
When I suggested "lighter duty" I think it boils down to not needing the fires suppression level of cost and ongoing inspection. Not gauge of metal, lacking of appropriate ductwork, lack of integrated controls and tempered MAU unit, or less rated exhaust fan. Poor choice of words, but I'm thinking light duty cooking appliances don't need the same engineered systems as deep fryers, woks, flame broilers

appliances.
with UL 710B.

I our local Code official has indicated he will force us to repeat all the tests, manufactures effluent ratings and testing does not apply

appliances.
with UL 710B.
I wondered about that :) From UL KNLZ.GuideInfo: These appliances have been investigated for the limit of 5 mg/m3 for the emission of grease-laden air to the room ambient in accordance with the recommendations of ANSI/NFPA 96, "Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations," using the EPA-202 test method prescribed for cooking appliances provided with integral recirculating air systems. This is certainly an option, but I don't really think panini grills are equipped with what is required to pass the tests necessary to gain a listing. Also of interest, referenced in UL 710B: The basic standard used to investigate products in this category is ANSI/UL 197, "Commercial Electric Cooking Appliances."

I our local Code official has indicated he will force us to repeat all the tests, manufactures effluent ratings and testing does not apply
On what authority is he doing that? The whole purpose of listing and labeling by independent third party labs is to eliminate the need for testing every installation separately as long as it is installed and used in accordance with instructions.

Right or wrong, we treat paninis as light duty appliances. That gives us some leeway to decide if the situation requires a type I hood or not. 95% of the time there is little to no grease laden vapors. Its just toasting bread, melting cheese and warming already cooked/cured meat. In those cases a type I hood is not required. That drops it down to a type II hood. IMC 507.3 allows for no type II hood over electric appliances if the heat and moisture loads are accounted for and additional general exhaust is provided.

I'm not sure how you could require a Type I hood but not require fire suppression. There's either enough grease produced to require both or not enough grease to require either.