• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type II Hood With 2+ Microwaves

alora

Silver Member
2006 IMC, Section 507.2.2, Exception 3 (w/no applicable municipal amendments)

Our B.O. is now enforcing the above exception to require that our facility work involving break rooms/kitchenettes that contain 2 or more microwaves be equipped with Type II hoods.

We've been under the above code since approximately 2008, and it's never come with the same B.O. All of a sudden, during a plan review, he makes this comment. Of course, this was the first plan submittal in about as much time, as we generally do all our work under 'registered plant' processes with only an annual permit.

Was there some updated/revised generic commentary passed on to building officials regarding this.

Any other insights?

% % % %

alora,

No generic commentaries were passed on to any BO's. Your

BO has simply made a determination based on the adopted

codes in your jurisdiction........As long as s/he is consistent

with the interpretation & administration of the section you

listed, then s/he is justified to cite any section in your codes

that is applicable.

If this scenario has never come up, how would the BO cite it?

Just asking...

Also, FWIW, ...all of us are human.......As such, we all make

mistakes.......Maybe [ and this is ONLY a maybe ], your BO

only recently came across that section and is now commenting

on it in a plan review.........BTW, it is a lot easier to address

in the plan review stage than at the project final stage.

% % % %

I should have stated it does not appear the 09 requires microwaves to have a type II hood

north star said:
No generic commentaries were passed on to any BO's. Your

BO has simply made a determination based on the adopted

codes in your jurisdiction........As long as s/he is consistent

with the interpretation & administration of the section you

listed, then s/he is justified to cite any section in your codes

that is applicable.
In early 2008 we had to submit a couple of plans for plan review, as there was more work involved than what is allowed to be done under the annual permit. This code requirement didn't come up, and we were under the 2006 IMC.

If this scenario has never come up, how would the BO cite it?Just asking...
The scenario has come up and the B.O. never cited it because we generally don't submit plans for plan review. Most of our work for various facilities falls under the annual permit/registered plant allowances (whatever you want to call it).

Also, FWIW, ...all of us are human.......As such, we all makemistakes.......Maybe [ and this is ONLY a maybe ], your BO

only recently came across that section and is now commenting

on it in a plan review.........
My thoughts exactly -- very little work going on and the B.O.s now have time to read the codes a little more thoroughly.

cda said:
Do not have the 06 but appears 09 got rid of the exception
Yup.

Just looked at that code.

As I've been successful with using the "Appeal to the Building Official" for being able to use 2009 IBC code sections (live/work units, etc.), I'll try the same with 2009 IMC.

It is still in the 2009 just a round about way to get there. You have to vent air out of the room you have to bring air into the room.

Spaces containing cooking appliances that do not require Type II hoods shall be ventilated in accordance with Section 403.3. For the purpose of determining the floor area required to be ventilated, each individual appliance that is not required to be installed under a Type II hood shall be considered as occupying not less than 100 square feet (9.3 m2).

Stupid interpretation.. try to enforce it.. there's a receptacle on the countertop.. nothing installed.. require a hood?

Get real

I am dealing with similiar issues. As I understand the code, if there are grease laden vapors or smoke, then a Type I hood is required, wether or not it is a plug in domestic appliance or hard-wired commericial appliance (IMC 507.2.1). When heat, steam, or products of combustion, but not grease or smoke are produced, then a Type II hood is required for the appliance. If neither heat, steam, products of combustion, grease laden vapors or smoke are produced, then no hood is required. examples of appliances given do not indicate microwaves, however exception 3 of 507.2.2 states that a single light duty microwave shall not require a hood but shall be accounted for in the design of the HVAC system. In my opinion it is how the space is used which determines how the code is enforced.

I do not agree with peach's statement that enforceability is the only determining factor in whether an interpretation is intellectually relevant. The moment more than one light duty appliance is installed, the code exception is no longer applicable, whether or not you catch it.

Welcome "Papio Bldg Dept" to The Building Codes Forum! :cool: