• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

type of hood for George Foreman electric Grills

J

JayHawkInspector

I have a restaurant remodel and they are going to have one hot dog steamer (residential type), micro waves and a couple of George Foreman electric Grills so what type of hood should they have???

And the list gets bigger with the 2010 (based on the ICC 2006). The appliances you describe would not require a hood here.

What are they cooking? If it is anything that produces grease laden vapors, it needs a type I hood. See sec. 507.2.1. As far as I know, a George forman, or any panini style grill, doesn't have a UL 710B recirculating system.

Would agree no hood

But would document and may even have them give you a notarized letter of the appliances on property

That way when you check back in a couple of months and they have a full blown kitchen you can wave the letter at them while you lock thier doors

I seem to recall something from the old board about a jurisdiction requiring the menu be submitted, which they stamped approved. Their thinking was that grilling bread and vegetable sandwiches was fine, but when the bacon (not on the menu) starts releasing grease laden vapors, a hood was required.

Not something I would do, but it sounded like a pretty ingenious idea.

VP is correct you should check the listing. Chances are they are not ment for continuoes operation like you find in most restaurants. The cords are lighter and will over heat. The unit itself (external surfaces) may overheat when used in a commercial operation. couple times an hour probably okay. used for a couple of hours in a row probably not good.