• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Type V-A Construction

benny

Bronze Member
Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread; I did a search but didn't find anything. We use the 2009 IBC.

Table 601 requires 1 hr protection for primary structural frame, interior and exterior bearing walls, floor construction and secondary members, and roof construction and secondary members.

Assuming the use of 5/8 Type X gypsum for fire rating:

So will a second story floor have 5/8 Type X on the bottom and the top of the floor joists? Also, will the ceiling/roof assembly have 5/8 Type X on the bottom and top of the rafters? Basically every structural member is wrapped in 5/8 Type X gypsum.

Thanks in advance.

maybe a rated assembly??

between the 1st and 2nd floor

Not sure if you want sheetrock on the floor

Ya, I was wondering how to get the one hour rating on the upper side of the floor. I've seen sheet rock below a roof deck but not on a floor.

all floors???

so are you designing this, trying to help someone that has submitted plans to you, or other?

So what do the plan details show they are doing??

Any notes as far as protection??

Since we are in an "A". Is the building sprinklered????

Their reasoning for changing from VB to VA is a mezzanine that exceeds 1/3 of the floor area, thus turning into a two-story building (not allowed for A2, Type VB). So, then they started exploring the VA option. Now it appears they are going to attempt IIIB. It's a mess really. Their RDP is a good structural engineer but not an architect. Now they are bending the Mayor's ear on how I am being difficult and making it hard for business to come into the City.

benny said:
Now they are bending the Mayor's ear on how I am being difficult and making it hard for business to come into the City.
Par for the course...

benny said:
Ya, I was wondering how to get the one hour rating on the upper side of the floor. I've seen sheet rock below a roof deck but not on a floor.
Floors are to be rated from fire exposure from the bottom here.

mark handler said:
And you don't know about horizontal assemblies?Scary
Mork, I assume that you knew everything before you started reviewing plans or designing, etc? I always make sure not to approve anything that doesn't meet code. Our small community doesn't have a lot of multi-story buildings so this is the first time I've came across this type of construction. So I'm doing my homework. We also use a third-party reviewing agency when needed. This forum has been extremely helpful, except for arrogant comments like yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
in defense of the code challanged, there is alot of stuff in the books, and sometimes we may have one project in our lifetime that has some stuff we have never seen before, so not up on code references, or what to look for.

can't we all just get along??????????

Cum-bay-ah, m'lord, Cum-bay-ah,

Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah,

Someone's Singing Lord, Cum-bay-ah,

Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah,

Someone's Crying Lord, Cum-bay-ah, etc.

Someone's Praying Lord, Cum-bay-ah, etc.

Someone's Camping Lord, Cum-bay-ah, etc.

I just ordered a package of ICC's 2009 IRC plan review records (25 ct) I have been using them for commercial projects as well. Provides a consistent checklist and documentation for plan review. Helps me keep things organized and promotes thoroughness.

Mr.Inspector said:
I just ordered a package of ICC's 2009 IRC plan review records (25 ct) I have been using them for commercial projects as well. Provides a consistent checklist and documentation for plan review. Helps me keep things organized and promotes thoroughness.
One book often overlooked is the IBC commentary which explains the intent and what the code means, not just what the code says.....How to apply those consistent checklists

If everyone read the icc commentaries 1/3 of the questions on this forum would not be posted

benny said:
Mork, I assume that you knew everything before you started reviewing plans or designing, etc?
An No Benny (Clint) I have never designed a building I was not qualified to design

I glad you are seeking Knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
benny said:
Their reasoning for changing from VB to VA is a mezzanine that exceeds 1/3 of the floor area, thus turning into a two-story building (not allowed for A2, Type VB). So, then they started exploring the VA option. Now it appears they are going to attempt IIIB. It's a mess really. Their RDP is a good structural engineer but not an architect. Now they are bending the Mayor's ear on how I am being difficult and making it hard for business to come into the City.
Recently went through the same change of occupancy with a 5B office building. I required an engineer for the added weight to bottom of the joist.

IMO 3B would be more challenging converting the exterior walls than the existing floor/ceiling.

FWIW Table 720.1(3) details prescriptive horizontal assemblies and the link provided by Architect1281 is reference in footnote q.

Best wishes with the politics,

Francis