• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Un-Purple Primer for PVC

Re: Un-Purple Primer for PVC

globe trekker said:
Is the urinal (???) 2" drain "flat vented" in to the 4" horizontal drain?Ooooooohhh Jeff, where are you?

What do you mean by a drain being flat vented?

-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

MechanicalPiper,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum!

Flat venting: A normally dry vent run horizontally less than 6" above the flood level rim

of the fixture.

My statement may not be a "Flat Vent", however, my concern in the picture that Jeff

posted is that the point of connection for the urinal (the inlet), should be on the top

of the combination fitting and not its side.

IMO, the inlet should have been connected to the top of the combination fitting so

as to prevent any possible clogging of the urinal drain line with solids, paper products,

other from the water closet.

Thoughts from others ?

Thanks, looks like this place can be a valuable resource.

Well, the LT looks fitting 2 fitting with the San Tee...so with ADA height possibly didn't have the height to do so?

It was my mistake. I thought for a second the carrier wasn't vented from the provided vent...and you were referring to something about that. After looking closer I see its the camera angle and it's hiding behind the urinal vent wye'd in before turning horizontal.

A side question. Is this common, PVC pipe? I've never seen a chase wall piped with plastic. It seems such a superior product as far as the inside lining of pipe being much smoother. Material costs are dramatically better. 99% of my jobs still SPEC cast iron. Most of the pictures on the forum are PVC though. I work primarily in Seattle/Tacoma public projects. Cast Iron could not have a more irregular lining. for waste to get caught up on over the years. It seems as though they're wasting taxpayer money up here.

MechanicalPiper,

This Forum is THE BEST on the internet!

PVC is a far superior product than cast iron, in most applications, however, cast iron

is still an approved material / product that can be used. If your projects are SPEC`d

for cast iron then that is what you have to use.

The wasting of taxpayer money is all too common!

I agree with you i would of made them roll the combo so it was at least the top 2/3 of the pipe or above.

globe trekker said:
MechanicalPiper,This Forum is THE BEST on the internet!

PVC is a far superior product than cast iron, in most applications, however, cast iron

is still an approved material / product that can be used. If your projects are SPEC`d

for cast iron then that is what you have to use.

The wasting of taxpayer money is all too common!

Moscow,

Do you have a code section that requires that the inlet fitting be installed

on the top of the combination wye fitting, or at least rolled towards the

top? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

globe trekker said:
Moscow,Do you have a code secion that requires that the inlet fitting be installed

top? Thanks!

By code a 2" drain would only need to have 2% slope connection at that point. (That I'm aware of) It's just any other wye branch. I think it's just better to come off the top when possible. Depending on the routing underneath ground-work or another story...I like to core separate holes just for my urinals and tie them in below unless there's no piping near to avoid the horizontal when you are ADA urinal back2back with wall mounted toilet.

Id love to hear anyone with better options they've been using? Keeping in mind I'm working with cast so you're a little limited a lot when they spec the s4000?? (the bands with 4 clamps vs the narrower 2) Im always in search of better ways on gang bathroom layouts.

What code is everyone under? It's UPC here.

What code is everyone under? It's UPC here.
It's a mix on here! Some IPC, ..some UPC, ..some California Plbg. Code

and other states have their own versions as well. The Forum guests

and Sawhorses cover a broad spectrum!

If I may, ..might I greatly encourage you to be come a Sawhorse too!

Sawhorses are the paid members on here. The minimum rate is $60.00

for a 2 yr. membership! For some like me, that is a real bargain! ;)

I am curious as to why "they" specify cast iron in your area versus using

pvc or abs.

I'm curious also! I bring it up every chance I get. If the engineer or architect is out on site I will always bring up the question. I get a different answer every time, none really satisfying. I get a lot of rambling about noise issues, fire rating, durability. I would really love to get down to the actual reason. Cast iron producers have great lobbyists?

The main issue I have with ABS is keeping your pieces straight. I will have to go down to the supply house and hand pick our pallets for delivery because if not you could get some banana shaped pipe showing up to your jobs. PVC is not that popular up here in Seattle, so I have not worked with it much. I do like how the pieces stay nice and straight though. I enjoy the finished product of cast iron the best everything looks really nice, tight, and good straight mechanical joints. I would be interested in doing a whole job in PVC though to see how I like it. I think the purple primer is ugly as all get out. I know it's not about how it looks, but I do appreciate a job that looks good when you're done.

I've been accessing the form exclusively through TapaTalk, so haven't seen any of the info relating to the paid member plans. I will be sure to check that out the next time I'm at a desktop.

I need to go dig through my photos laying around and get them posted on here. Thinking be really great to hear the feedback from everyone on ways to improve. Might sound a little dorky, but I get excited every time someone shows me a new way that is either better or easier, or both...thean the way I've been doing it before.

Here we use the 2003 UPC and under the UPC section 905.2 states that all vents connect to a horizontal drian pipe, each vent shall have its invert taken off above the drainage centerline of such pipe....... and if you look at were the drain line is, its about the top 2/3 of the pipe. So because they are using it as a wet vent I would say they have to come off the top 2/3 of the pipe.

globe trekker said:
Moscow,Do you have a code secion that requires that the inlet fitting be installed

top? Thanks!

the water closet on the end away from the wall in the ladys room has its vent coming off down stream and using it as the drain for the urnial in the mens room

MechanicalPiper said:
Where is everyone seeing this "wet vent"?-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

Re: Un-Purple Primer for PVCI think Im not seeing the picture you guys are talking about...this is the one I've been looking at.I think it's vented here? Just behind the urinal vent? I don't see what other reason for a fitting to be there. Are you saying they abandoned the carrier vent and are using the urinal drain without increasing the pipe size and not being vertical? Because that's what I thought the first time I glanced at it too.-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

View attachment 642

View attachment 642

/monthly_2013_01/uploadfromtaptalk1357779203493.jpg.e0ac1460f96562779c8b0ae73345c8f6.jpg

Good I eye I did not see that, I stand corrected. guess its time to chang the contacts or maybe start wearing my glass's.

MechanicalPiper said:
I think Im not seeing the picture you guys are talking about...this is the one I've been looking at.I think it's vented here? Just behind the urinal vent? I don't see what other reason for a fitting to be there. Are you saying they abandoned the carrier vent and are using the urinal drain without increasing the pipe size and not being vertical? Because that's what I thought the first time I glanced at it too.

Isn't the WC in the Women's restroom wet vented? The 2" urinal vent line appears to connect

to the vent stack.

globe trekker said:
Isn't the WC in the Women's restroom wet vented? The 2" urinal vent line appears to connectto the vent stack.

I think both vents are in the same plane as the camera angle. I'm basing that off the fitting I marked in the above picture. Since a toilet rim height and urinal rim height are much lower than a sink or lav, if you still run your horizontal vent line up around 42" then you can wye them together on the vertical before turning horizontal. It's the standard way I've been taught with a urinal back2back with wall-hung toilet. I guess this is a perfect example of where purple primer being clearly visible would make that fitting stand out.

So when run in PVC, as as long as the carrier inlet and outlet are within 4 feet you do not have to support the pipe between them correct?

Or do the connection points not count?

What's everyone method here?

When running in CI, you end up having to have two supports between each carrier. There are a few inspectors around here that don't make you put any on the 4", but most will want to see it.

Table 308.5 in the 2006 IPC requires support at the 4 ft. intervals. See this link:

Chapter 3 - Section 308.5 = Interval of Support.

Also, ..MechanicalPiper, I am not seeing the vent connection behind the urinal.

From my viewpoint, the urinal drain (2") connects to the 4" horizontal drain that

connects downstream to a (possible) wet vent. Are you saying that it is a

typical type of construction method (that you were taught) for the back2back

fixtures to have a vent between them?

In Jeff's picture, to me, it looks as though they connected the women's toilets

to the downstream (possible) wet vent, then added a wye to connect the

urinal, and then vented the urinal to a separate vent stack.

Your (and others) thoughts..

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats cool to have online...is it the full IPC code? I just bought the 2012 UPC in digital format so I could search it on my phone while on site. I've never looked for an online UPC before.

MechanicalPiper,

I'm tellin' ya, ..this site is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool and has lots of resources. Also, see

this link, that is on this Forum, for additional online codes:

Useful Links

Haven't you decided to become a Sawhorse yet? :D

Technology is getting crazy these days. I've been accessing this forum from my phone while commuting. I haven't typed a single word, just dictated to Android's Voice to Text. I see I need to become a paying member fix when it messes up like the above post though.

MechanicalPiper,

Thanks again for your input!

I DO highly recommend that you become a Sawhorse! This Forum has the most talent

and resources that I have seen anywhere, ..and I have looked!

Regarding your submitted "drawing on-the-fly", ..not a bad rendering at all! I just do

not see that point of connection from the carrier to the urinal vent. It may be there,

but I just do not see it! I only see the urinal vent. To me, the women's wc line does

not connect to anything but the (possible) wet vent downstream.

I sure wish that our fellow Forum contributor (Jeff R.) would chime in to add some

more clarification and banter. :D

When I zoom in I'm fairly confident I see the hub of the 45 that picks up the toilet vent. I can't come up with any other reason that fitting would be there? They used the vent on all the other carriers, so it would be odd to skip one, although not impossible by any means.

Zoom in and check that out and let me know what you think.