• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

undermined footing

ICE

Oh Well
A new sewer trench has created an issue with the footing. The footing is about 6" thick and is shallow.

I gave them the option of back fill with a compaction report or slurry. I didn't see a need for an engineer.

Tiger:

Is that one of those post-tensioned slabs with a thickened perimeter? If so you definitely need an engineer who knows about post-tensioned slabs. You can tell by looking at the edges of the slab, there should be about 2" concrete plugs about 12" o.c. where they tightened the cables.

Tiger:

Is that one of those post-tensioned slabs with a thickened perimeter? If so you definitely need an engineer who knows about post-tensioned slabs. You can tell by looking at the edges of the slab, there should be about 2" concrete plugs about 12" o.c. where they tightened the cables.
It isn't. When did post-tensioned hit the market? When I was a kid I worked around pre-stressed beams.

It isn't. When did post-tensioned hit the market? When I was a kid I worked around pre-stressed beams.
Tiger:

Sometime in the 60s, it works well above grade but when they tried putting it on the ground to eliminate footings and "float", they "floated" all over the place with whole buildings going out of level, doors sticking, windows not working, etc.

I've seen post tension once, an ice rink.

I believe several years ago someone attempted to have post tensioning in the codes. My understanding of post tensioning, used in locals with expansive soils, etc...