• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Understanding Codes

pletzer28 said:
well bacically taking raw lumber to size i need for a project puting it together to make a profit. I dont understand in such a small building that i would have to have sprinker. Iam not mass producing cheap box cabinets. Projects will be custom made to order. I will be having a central dust collecton with more then required cfm. If i were to not have a customer come into the place or have an employee someday i wouldent need any of this i can just put up building and it dosent have to be to comemcial code. This building will be put up on A-2 once rezoned. Not sure if this makes a differnce.
It doesn't really matter what you are producing - the fact that it is located at your home actually increases the danger because houses are constructed with the expectation of not being adjacent to woodworking facilities. And regardless of if customers come into the space, if there is a fire, firefighters will.

pletzer28 said:
WI, Dane county. town of berry. Curently rezoning from RH-3 to A-2 with a conditinal use permit for a limited family business.
Hi pletzer, you are under the 2009 IBC with Wisconsin Amendments. SPS 361.30 would require your building to have state approved plans since the volume of the building is over 25,000 cubic feet.

The state plan reviewer may consider your dust controlling system as a means to eliminate the hazard and may not require the sprinkler system. You would need to provide information on your system and prove that it would be effective in removing the fine particles..

The State of Wisconsin would only require a building over 50,000 cubic feet to be designed by a design professional. However I would recommend hiring one as the approval process and job will go much smoother with that investment.

Thanks for all the advice. The "he" was a guy from the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services. Yes the building is on my property. More then enough distance from neighboring properties closest is about 300 yards. I have about just about 11 acres. Allot of manufacturing facilities are closer to residential properties then i will be. I currently work for a place that theirs no way in hell is to code. Evey time fire inspectors come in they don't have any problems. Some how he gets away with it or the correct people not coming in. Our shop is 14000 sq ft, counter-top manufacturing facility within 200 feet of apartment buildings. All we have is a little dust collector on each of the 2 table saws and another on the counter-top saw and that's about it. We have a big blue air filter that never runs, no power even ran to it and boss says to loud. Their are sprinklers, So my goal is to make sure that iam up to code and not have dust all over. My current employer has made me see exactly how not to run a shop. Thanks again for the advice.

How long has your current employer been in business?

And how long has that building been there?

building was purchased in 2003 building prob 15-20 years old, been added on to. was not built as a counter-top manufacturing facility. been in business for about 20 years i think. They have another shop that isn't up to par either. I have tried to tell them about air quality but no one seams to listen. also part of building is leased as office space.

IMO, budget permitting, install a sprinkler system.

1- Safety for you and your workers (if you have any)

2- Can save your equipment and stuff in a fire. How many fires start with a little rag covered with some flammable substance.

3- You might/should save some dough on your insurance, to off set the cost.

I've worked in a cabinet shop, flammable dust gets everywhere, even with a vacuum system. I little dust near your furnace, hot water heater, dropped cig, and everything can up in smoke. Once a fire starts, your choices are

1- get out,

2- get a fire extinguisher, and take a chance of being cooked.