• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Uniformity of stairs

Glenn

I've longed used this youtube video in my classes. It is excellent for teaching the "why" of this provision. Look at how many people have viewed it. They were learning code and didn't even know it! I love it!

Glenn, I clicked on the like button but I don't like what I see. It's hard to believe a fraction of an inch can cause a trip and the person carrying a toddler tripping should make every contractor, builder and inspector check stairs and the 3/8-inch variance that the code allows.

I tend to see the different height at the deck to first step and the step to lower landing off a bit. With so many stair calculators available it's hard to see why stairs give the contractor so many problems?

Glenn, I clicked on the like button but I don't like what I see. It's hard to believe a fraction of an inch can cause a trip and the person carrying a toddler tripping should make every contractor, builder and inspector check stairs and the 3/8-inch variance that the code allows.

I tend to see the different height at the deck to first step and the step to lower landing off a bit. With so many stair calculators available it's hard to see why stairs give the contractor so many problems?
Yup... Words in a book can be hard for folks to believe when they are being unwillingly shoved down their throat. Sometimes all you need is to explain what the words actually mean. This is the kind of video that reveals that flawlessly!

The bottom step of deck stairs are notorious for this. They forget to subtract the tread thickness at the bottom when resting on the finished landing (i.e. concrete pad)