• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unisex sinks in Katy Texas

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows if Katy Texas allows for unisex sinks.

Please see the below link.

I'm also not certain if it passes ADA clearance requirements around the urinals.

Occupancy is 300 Group A-2 . Its usage will be a sports bar.

The city is Katy Texas.

Thank you for your feedback.

Orlando

Have a quick set down with the building official

He can say

Yes

No

Yes,,, but do this

Before redesigning

Or do it by email

Agree

But why can’t there be say eight singles in a row???

And you step out and there is the sinks to wash your hands???
The eight single rooms need to have the lavatory in the same room. Sometimes you need to wash more then your hands and need to expose other body parts..

The eight single rooms need to have the lavatory in the same room. Sometimes you need to wash more then your hands and need to expose other body parts..

Ok getting lost

Is there a difference between a single toilet in a stall and a single toilet ,,, behind a fancy door??

Attachments

• 6587DC08-C703-4DBF-990C-411373038ECB.png
    6587DC08-C703-4DBF-990C-411373038ECB.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AAA49895-D28C-4F64-ADD5-1D2A90E26E1E.png
    AAA49895-D28C-4F64-ADD5-1D2A90E26E1E.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 3
This does look better but the client wanted to have universal sinks.
Why and when do we as code officials care what the client wants. We are here to be the bad guy between what the client wants and what the code says. As the DP you get caught in the middle but you are not the one telling your client no.

Woman's room door does not meet front approach...
Good catch Steveray.

Do I need a 5-foot turnaround radius in front of the sink (4'5 1/2")?

The back door in the 3'-8" hallway counts as the 2nd door fire exit for the building.

Does the hallway need to be a certain size to meet the code?

Attachments

• newv2.PNG
    newv2.PNG
    91.3 KB · Views: 6
You have posted your question in the "Accessibility" forum, but it is not the accessibility codes which require separate facilities for each sex, it is the plumbing code. Here's the excerpt from the International Plumbing Code.

403.2 Separate Facilities

Where plumbing fixtures are required, separate facilities shall be provided for each sex.
Exceptions:
  1. Separate facilities shall not be required for dwelling units and sleeping units.
  2. Separate facilities shall not be required in structures or tenant spaces with a total occupant load, including both employees and customers, of 15 or fewer.
  3. Separate facilities shall not be required in mercantile occupancies in which the maximum occupant load is 100 or fewer.

The way 403.2 is worded, " separate facilities" seems to refer to "plumbing fixtures". But IPC table 403.1 list minimum requires "fixtures" not only as sinks, toilets and lavs, but also drinking fountains and service sinks. When was the last time you saw separate drinking fountains for men vs. women?

Also, what does the word "separate" mean? Does in mean you must calculate them separately, but they can be located adjacent to each other? Or must they be in separate rooms? ...and if so, must the rooms have doors on them in order to be considered "separate"?

One more option. Just thought I look at it from a different perspective.

I think some will say sink is not in same room

Just do a line of individual restrooms

Mark them unisex

You open the door from the individual toilet room, and you see a line of sinks.

I like the New Phoenix Theatre. Puts an end to the potty parity issue. Also will lead to a higher percentage of men washing hands with women washing. Win win.

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows if Katy Texas allows for unisex sinks.

Please see the below link.

I'm also not certain if it passes ADA clearance requirements around the urinals.

Occupancy is 300 Group A-2 . Its usage will be a sports bar.

The city is Katy Texas.

Thank you for your feedback.

Orlando
am I missing something here? a unisex sink?

So how about this setup???

Attachments

• DB5FFBE0-DC23-41DF-85FD-A07E13E70B1C.jpeg
    DB5FFBE0-DC23-41DF-85FD-A07E13E70B1C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • D6A2C518-8581-49EB-8EB1-501F78DC8177.jpeg
    D6A2C518-8581-49EB-8EB1-501F78DC8177.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
So how about this setup???
Depending on your definition of what the CPC means by the word "separate" in "separate facilities shall be provided for each sex", I would say that the grouping of sinks complies for the following reasons:
  • The sinks are individual sinks and are physically separated from each other: it is not a long trough sink with multiple faucets.
  • There is no additional code requirement to label the separate sinks with code signage that says "men's sink" or "women's sink".